How Much Dry Food Should I Feed My Dog?

Please, can somebody help me? I was given a large bag of dry dog food with no instructions on how much to feed my dog. She has always been fed wet food, but she seems to really enjoy this type of dry food. Apparently it is bagged from larger containers and the pet shop can't help.

I have introduced it slowly by giving the occasional meal of dry food (about 2 handfuls which I think is way too much) each time alternately with her own food. The problem is, I have no idea if I am underfeeding or overfeeding.

My dog is a terrier mix weighing about 10 pounds and she is 10 years old, very lively and healthy. I have always weighed her wet food to make sure she has the right quantity. Does anybody know how many ounces of dry food I need to give my dog per day? This way, since she is fed twice a day, I can give her half of her wet food for one meal, and half of the daily amount of dry food for her other meal. Thank you so much.

By cettina from Malta, Europe

My bag of dry says about 1&2/3 cup, twice a day. I feed my dog first thing in the morning and at our dinner time at night.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using pet food that doesn't come with some sort of nutritional information and general quantity recommendations. Some dry dog foods are very rich in nutrients and require smaller amounts, and some have a lot of fillers, which means you would need to give a lot more of it to provide the same amount of nutrition (and it's probably not as tasty for your dog). I've always had large athletic dogs myself, and I'd walk them 1-2 miles a day, and I'd buy whatever dog food they particularly liked, and stuck to a 2 meal a day schedule. They never had a problem with being overweight (nor have I). I like to use dry dog food as the main ingredient, and mix a big spoonful of canned dog food in to give it more flavor. I do not recommend canned pet food as a mainstay, however, because canned food diets are more likely to cause tooth decay.

Basically:

1) Make sure the dog likes it.

2) Give it lots of exercise in case it gets too many calories.

Thank you keeper60. I will stick to just 2/3 cup alongside half her normal wet food. i don't buy canned food. I've always bought her beef or chicken breast which i mix with pasta and weigh out 400 grams per day after I've boiled it all up. Even my vet asked me for my recipe cause he was so impressed at how healthy and lively she is. I take her out for a 30 min walk once a day. She gets too tired with a longer walk. As a puppy, she could manage more but she is getting older now. Plus she gets a rawhide bone every day to clean her teeth. Since she likes this dry food so much, I think I will carry on with it for just one meal per day, using half what you suggested, and see how she goes. At least, with her homemade wet food, I know she is getting good stuff even if the dry isn't so nutritious. Thanks again.

Hello,

Please take you baby to his/her Veterinarian for an exam and ask your Vet for the right amount you should be feeding.

The amount of dry kibble to feed depends on the quality of the food (see Logic316's reply), the ideal body weight for your particular breed (not necessarily their current weight) AND your dog's activity level. The "recommended feeding" chart on dog foods can be misleading. There is a great calculator on dogfoodadvisor(dot)com that I found very helpful because it includes the calories per cup as part of the overall formula.

October 7, 2012 Flag

How many cups do I feed a 150 lbs dog and also a 20 lbs dog?

Thank you!

By Amber L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I will say about 1 1/2-2 cups for your 20 lb. dog and for your 150 lb. dog feed him about 6-8 cups. Hope this helps.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 4, 2010
Dog's Food
Keeping Flies Out Of Dog's Food
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Sheep and Lamb on Farm
Saving Money on Livestock Feed
A tuxedo cat sitting in front of his food.
How Much Should I Feed My Cat?
🎉
🎄