Using a Baking Stone

Do I need to preheat my baking stone before I bake pizza? Thanks!

Daphne P from Jacksonville, FL

The first thing you need to do with a new stone is rub cooking oil lightly into it, then wipe off excess with a paper towel, pre-heating is not necessary. Always clean with a scrapper and never, ever use soap, It will discolor after using a bit but the worse your stone looks the better it cooks, I love pampered chef and do not own any metal pans , after using the stone I threw the others away!!!

I washed my stone with soap and water I didn't have the directions because I bought it from a private party. What can I do now?

If you are using a baking stone to bake something frozen like a pizza, put the frozen item on the stone and place it in the oven first. If you place a stone in the oven with a frozen pizza on it, and the oven is hot, there is more of a chance that it will crack. It may never crack, but if it does 5 years down the line, you may not get it replaced. There is a time limit on warranties, even with Pampered Chef. Plus it's not that hard to put it in when you turn on the oven. Heck, it keeps you from getting up again to put the pizza on the stone when the oven is ready. I usually set the timer for the time on the box and check it when it goes off.

Baking a pizza on a baking stone.
Using a Baking Stone
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMay 15, 2008
Installer Pavers
Making a Paving Stone Patio
Stone Wall
Hammering or Nailing Into Stone
Stone Coasters
Stone Coaster Tips and Tricks
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking