Indoor Walking Program

I have seizures and am afraid to go out by myself to walk for exercise. Any ideas how to "walk" inside at home?

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

My husband and I bought a motorized treadmill two years ago. The exercise equipment has saved us a substantial amount of money than buying two memberships at a fitness center.

If you don't have the room or money for walking exercise equipment just use hand weights in each hand of one or two pounds each and walk from room to room/back and forth for a few minutes a day and have some music going in the background to keep you from being bored while doing it :-) Start slowly and then build up your pace and amount of time you do it each day :-) You might wear out the carpet/floors but at least you'll feel safe and still get your exercise :-)

There is a free to view one mile express walk video at this internet site on the right side of the screen. Take it up to full screen for a better view. Not much space is needed for this one mile walk which is done in about 15 minutes. You can take it slow and easy or participate at the full level- your choice.

Leslie Sansone has a series of DVD's for walking in the home. I bought mine at Target. Prevention Magazine also has a walk tape to use in the home. I hope this helps. You might find the tapes at the library too.

I walk inside of my home. We have a finished basement I use too. I start in one end of my house and walk from one end of my house to the other to the stairway. Go down the stairway to the basement and to the other end of the basement and back. Go up the stairs and back to the beginning. Then I continue to make another round again. I keep doing this for 20 minutes or so. That way I get plenty of walking as well as stair climbing up and down. I don't have to consider the bad weather.

I'm in a similar situation, but I have visual and balance impairment rather than something as serious as seizures. I tried walking along our fence line until our mastiff left one too many nasty surprises in my path, sigh! I like the ideas Susan and Deeli mentioned. Just put on some jazzy music and walk the length of your house. That sounds simple enough. Of course, lacking hand weights, I'd prob carry something of similar weight. Alternatively, I could always just lug my suitcase-sized casette Talking Book machine back and forth... playing a book while walking, of course!

An older man working with a trainer at home.
At Home Exercise Ideas
Health & Beauty FitnessApril 24, 2010
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
A healthy meal of wok fried vegetables being prepared.
Finding Old Weight Watchers Menus
A mom and two kids crossing the street.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
epilepsy monitoring
Living With Epilepsy