Travel Packing Tips

I hate packing! There's so much to do before a trip that this chore is just an added nuisance!

So those items that will ALWAYS go on trips with me, I just have them specifically designated for trips, instead of packing them when the time comes. I just store these extras in my luggage!

1. I use ziplock sandwich bags for most of them that are labeled:

• First Aid: (four or five bandaids, a teenie bag of Ibuprofen, antibiotic cream, etc.)
    • Beverages: (two or three tea packets, two or three coffee packets, a travel container of Equal, powdered cream packets, etc.)
    • Makeup: (I try to find tiny versions of my regular makeup, if possible. Lipstick, a smaller bottle of foundation --who needs a whole bottle for 4 days!, eyeshadow, mascara, etc.)
    • Shower/Hygiene: (a tiny toothpaste, tiny shampoo/conditioner, tiny hair gel bottle, etc.)
    • Electronics: (iPod charger, USB cord, phone charger, camera charger and battery, headphones, etc.) (These are specifically designated for traveling. They're duplicates of the household USB cord and iPod charger, etc.)

2. I also have designated "travel undies" and "travel socks" and a "travel cap" and "travel sunglasses", etc. They stay in the luggage and are only used on trips. So no packing of them is necessary!
  3. If I find that I'm not going to use something on this particular trip (I need 5 pairs of undies on a week-long trip; only 2 on a weekend trip), I put them in a drawer specifically designated for "travel stuff".
  4. Then, when I return from a trip, I unpack IMMEDIATELY (if I don't, the luggage sits exactly where I set it down, for weeks!). I refill anything that needs it (shampoo, pills, bandaids, etc.), wash anything that will go back into the luggage (undies/socks) and I'm ready to go in a flash on my next trip!

And I'll have confidence that I haven't forgotten anything, because it was already there to begin with! (like headphones!)

I like your trip organization planning. I don't travel that much, but I made a list of the different items I need to pack so I don't forget something that may not be needed on all trips. An item that comes to mind is our bed pillows - of course we can't take them on the airplane but on road trips we can. I keep this list handy so it's easy to find when I'm packing.

Packing for a Trip
Packing for a Trip
Organizing TravelAugust 3, 2008
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Small packed suitcase open against a white background
Packing Light When Traveling
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
🎉
🎄