Can I Bake Bacon?

A reader asked if you could bake bacon. Here are the responses we received from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own bacon techniques below.

Cooling Rack in Cookie Sheet

This is the correct way. Take a cookie cooling rack the same size as a cookie sheet. Place cooling rack on top of the sheet and cook the bacon at 350 to 400 degrees F about a half hour. 400 degrees F seems to cook it too fast and you still end up with a lot of oil in the meat. I've done it at 325 degrees F for an hour and it comes out nice too. Good Luck!

By Barry

Start With Cold Oven

Bacon should be put in a cool oven and brought to 400 degrees F, then baked until desired crispiness. The reason is this will help bake the fat out first, then it's simply a matter of cooking the meat that's left.

Jelly Roll Pan

For one pound of bacon: Use two foil lined jelly roll (15 1/2 x 10 x 1 inch) pans (easy clean-up), bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Depending on the type of bacon, the time will vary.

I lay the bacon close together since it does shrink as it cooks. Remove from oven, when bacon is cooling off in pan, I tilt the pan, by carefully using oven mitts or pot holders. I double up with the mitts or pot holders on one end of the pan so the pan is tilted. This way the bacon grease will drain off somewhat. I do this with whatever needs draining from the oven.

Just be careful when handling a hot pan. Remove bacon and drain on a dish lined with paper towels. Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers. Also, whenever I use this method, my smoke alarm will go off. So, I have to crack my kitchen window, and turn on my ceiling fan.

By mkymlp

Check Package Directions

You can bake bacon. That is the only way I do it because I hate being burned by the splattering grease. Usually the directions are right on the back of the package but if not, 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes usually does it.

By Corinna

Use Broiler Pan

I put the slices of bacon on my broiler pan, cook at about 300 degrees F so all the grease will fall through the slats in the pan.

By dsbaby14

Cooking Tips

It's simple. 400 degrees 15 minutes. Remember it keeps cooking once you pull it out of the oven. That's the way they do it in restaurants.

By Gary

Sugared Bacon

I place a metal cooling rack (for cookies or cakes)into a foil lined jelly roll pan, and bake my bacon on top of the rack. Fat drips through. For extra yummy "sugared bacon" sprinkle brown sugar liberally on top of bacon before baking at 400 degrees F for 20 mins. Sweet, yummy and delish!

By Theresa

Jelly Roll Pan

Bake in a 400 degree oven on a jelly roll pan. A whole pound will fit on the pan. Keep moving it to not let it stick together. It will cook in about 20 minutes. Works wonderful. Left overs I put in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

By quickcooker

Cookie Sheet Technique

Squish up some aluminum foil, put it on a cookie sheet. Lay out the bacon on the foil, bake at 350 degrees F until it is the crispness you want. The leftover bacon can be put in a ziplock bag for other uses or breakfast the next day.

Enjoy!

By Jose

Be careful of the cookie sheet technique. I actually caught it on fire. The oil collects between the foil and gets to hot or something. However, I use my broiling pan and broil my bacon. It only takes a few minutes, flipping once. You have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't singe. I think I try just cooking it in the oven also.

The George Foreman Grill works better for me. Bacon cooks quicker and stays flat. No splatters either!

Tip: I put a larger container under the lip instead of using the George Foreman drip pans.

Hubby was doing the oven method and I showed him my way was quicker. Reluctantly, he had to admit it.

We like the thick bacon.

Our local deli owner taught us to use parchment paper in the cookie sheet...it catches the grease and leaves the bacon nice and crisp.

To the idea of using a cooling rack to keep the bacon out of the fat: Some cooling racks do not have high-temperature welds and should not be used in the oven. There are racks for hi-temp use. Or use your broiler pan.

I do mine at 400 for twenty minutes in a glass baking dish - pie plate, 8x8 or 9x9 works fine for about a 1/2 lb. of bacon per dish. If you're concerned about splatter, place a cookie sheet under the baking dish.

Oven cooked bacon on cookie sheet.
Cooking Bacon in the Oven
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatMarch 21, 2007
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
Saving on Bacon
Saving Money on Bacon
🎄