Uses for Milk Jugs

Cleaned out milk jugs are so handy around the house. Of course I take them to the store to fill for drinking water.

I mix up plant fertilizer in them to feed the plants. So easy to grab and pour.

I mix up hummingbird food and store in the frig. I mix up powdered milk for the kitty that comes to eat. I put pebbles in and use as a door stop.

We freeze water in ahead of time to use in the cooler instead of buying ice. It's so handy to have it stored in the frig. Be sure not to fill completely full. Leave room for expansion.

I cut a heavier jug up at the handle area and use as a scoop for my bird feeders in the winter time.

Put nuts and bolts in for a baby to kick around to make noise. They love that.

You can also cut the bottom out and remove the lid and put around young plants in the early spring to protect from the cold.

You can cut the top larger but keep the handle and use to carry smaller items in to the garage.

Another good use is to cut the top open more and use to collect seeds from flowers. Be sure to always mark the outside with a permanent marker so you know what's inside. And do not use it for anything else. You don't want to mix plant food with hummingbird food.

By Donna from Millbury, OH

I work at a summer camp. Sometimes kids get sick. I keep a supply of half milk jugs on hand. That way they have their own personal bucket if needed. They can be sanitized or thrown away when the child feels better. Saves the sheets, floor and spread of germs.

Didn't see this tip so thought I would share. We belong to a very large church and I am responsible for making tea when there is a death in the church. I wash our milk jugs good with baking soda and water and use them for the gallons of tea that we need.

Take the small ones and fill with water and put inside your toilet tank to one side. Saves on your water usage and water bill when you flush.

This idea may have been used already. (there are so many ideas here, I haven't read through all of them yet!) We wash the jug and let it dry COMPLETELY. Then we use it to hold dry rice or beans. With a little help from a funnel, we also use it to hold dry mash potato flakes. Keeps the bugs out and the handle makes it easy to pour out just what we want.

We clean and rinse, fill with water and keep in the fridge for when we go to the dog park. Our dogs run and run and like the cool water. Easy handle and enough not only for our two dogs but to share with others if they have forgotten.

I use them to store the left over paint you get after doing a paint job. Much better than keeping the paint in the tin.

You can see how much paint is left.

You can see the colour through the bottle.

You can write on the container with a permanent pen, or stick on a label.

It is much easier to pour out smaller quantities in washed out margarine tubs for doing small paint jobs.

The paint doesn't drip down the side as much as it does in a paint tin.

You don't seem to get a hard layer of paint forming on the top as you get in a paint tin due to a better fit with the bottle top screwed on.

Hope I have convinced you!

Richard :-)

Milk Jug On White Background
Uses for Milk Jugs
Plastic Milk Jug
Crafts Using Milk Jugs
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
A single plastic 1/2 gallon milk jug against a black background.
Using Milk Jugs in the Garden