Little by Little Vegetable Soup

Before microwaves became so available, I started the habit of putting small amounts of leftover vegetables in the freezer, in a large plastic container with a snug fitting lid. It was amazing how quickly the container filled with leftovers which weren't enough to serve my family, and to see visually how much would have been wasted.

When the container is full, thaw it in the fridge. Cook some chicken, beef, ground beef, or no meat, and add whatever seasonings you like. I like the onion soup packets, tomato sauce, whatever canned cream soup sounds sounds good that day, rosemary, chopped onions (I even freeze leftover onions for this purpose, wrapped separately and securely.), or whatever seasonings you prefer. Nutritious, delicious, filling, and FRUGAL!

Source: Necessity is the source for this tip. We were raising two growing boys on one income, so being frugal was a good way to help keep them full and growing.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

When I was growing up (back in the years dirt was being invented) my mother kept a gallon bag in the freezer just like this. When the bag was full we knew we were having soup soon! Guess who still does that!

This is a good idea. I also did this when all my 4 children were home. I used a tupperware lettuce keeper and whenever I had a spoonful of veggies, a slice of tomato, any amount of, of gravy or broth, bits of onion, left over beef or pork roasts into the container and to the freezer it went. When full I added extra meat and the resulting stew made it almost a free meal. Serve with corn bread or biscuits!

I lived with some folks back when, that did this, but she had a secret ingredient that made it just the BEST! She canned sauerkraut in pints, and added one jar to her big pot of soup. that's all she used her home canned kraut for, and she was known for her great soup! Now I do this with a regular size can of kraut from the store and get pretty great results, if I do say so myself!

I lived with some folks back when, that did this, but she had a secret ingerdient that made it just the BEST! She canned sauerkraut in pints, and added one jar to her big pot of soup. that's all she used her home canned kraut for, and she was known for her great soup! Now I do this with a regular size can of kraut from the store and get pretty great results --- if I do say so myself!

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJanuary 14, 2009
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
Chili Soup
Chili Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎄
🍂