Choosing Plants for a Privacy Hedge

I am looking for some ideas for "privacy plants" or "privacy shrubs" that would do well in a heavily shaded area. I just need to add some privacy along part of our yard. I am looking for something that retains some leaves during the winter; that would be perfect! I live in New England (Massachusetts).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

By Christine from MA

Answers

I used to live in Tn and we had privet hedge. It was a good distance from the house so the pollen didn't bother us. Some people trim them flat across the top and that takes the blooms away. I always let mine grow. In the fall it will have little seeds which look like tiny bunches of grapes. Cardinals love these. When it snowed I had these gorgeous red birds out there feasting on my privet "grapes". They look so pretty against the snow and green bushes. The flowers do have a very dusty pollen which might bother some people.