Layering Sand and Pebbles in a Vase

Does anyone know the correct way to layer sand and pebbles in a vase? Will any sand work?

Marie

Answers

Depends on the effect you want from the vase. The sand they sell for aquariums is more sterile than what you would get from say a white sand beach. If you did want to use beach sand, make sure it is dry and I would sift it to take out any large bits. I would even bake it either in the microwave or oven to make sure to kill any bugs or organisms that might be in it. The pebbles look best if they are fairly uniform in size and shape, again aquarium gravel might be best for the same reasons I gave for sand. Again, if you want to use natural source pebbles, wash with soap and water, dry thoroughly. If I were doing this, I would start with sand, then pebbles, sand, pebbles and end with sand in any case.Part of the effect is some sand between the pebbles, but using uniform pebbles will keep that to a minimum. Some I have seen have had the sand placed in on a slant, so one side is higher than the other. I would think this might be done by tilting the vase as you fill that layer.

Crafts NatureJune 24, 2008
Light Bulb Vase
Making a Light Bulb Vase
Pink and red daisies in a clear glass vase.
Cleaning Buildup Inside a Vase
Yarn Wrapped Vase With Tulips
Making a Yarn Wrapped Vase
raspberry plant
Propagating Plants by Layering
🎄