Share Crafts

Whitening Synthetic Fabric Clothing

How can I whiten non-cotton white items like bras and panties? Non-chlorine bleach doesn't do the job. They get a grey look after many washings, even though we have a water softener.

By Barbie

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Jonnie Shambarger [2] 06/07/2011

I use oxyclean. I fix a bucket of hot water and put in about one tablespoon of Oxyclean powder per gallon of water. I make this up right after I do laundry and each time I change my undergarments I put them into the oxyclean mixture to soak until I am ready to wash them. Then when I am ready to wash the clothes I put the bucket of oxyclean water with all the underwear into the washing machine and any other clothes I want to wash that day. They are always white to my satisfaction. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Louise B. [6] 06/07/2011

Are you washing your whites separately? This makes a big difference in keeping them white. If you wash them with colors, they will grey up much faster.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Dorothy [1] 06/07/2011

Baking soda is one of the best whiteners. Put some in the laundry along with your detergent and then after the water is filled, stop the machine and let it soak for at least 15 minutes. Then let the wash resume. I think you will be very happy with the results.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No