Does Anyone Have A Positive Parvo Story?

I would be interested in hearing any positive parvo stories. We are experiencing parvo in our home now. We have lost two 5 month old pups, and have two older dogs still at the vet being treated. I am hoping for a positive outcome, but it gets harder with each day that passes. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly from Iowa

Best Answer

About 7 years ago, we adopted a pup from the shelter and took him home. He seemed sleepy, but otherwise ok. The next morning we woke up to the hallmarks of parvo (oh the smell!) We rushed him in to the vet who put him on an IV b/c it was indeed parvo. He had to stay there for a few days and when he got home, he was weak. We fed him baby food and pedialyte for a couple of weeks. He is now almost 7, 100lbs and the best dog in the world. They can survive this with appropriate treatment and a bit of luck. Keep the faith, your babies are counting on you! I'll be thinking about you.

Best Answer

I have saved several using an eye dropper and liquids; and about 50 pots of coffee. I sat up for 3 days giving a eye dropper every 10 minutes and one with IV. But as soon as I could turn loose of the puppies, I bought a spray for the feed store. I think it was called parvo kill. You mix it with water and spray your whole yard. Parvo can live in and on the ground of your home for 7 years.

Best Answer

I just saved 4 out of 5 puppies. My vet allowed me to treat them at home. I gave the lactacted ringers under the skin 4 times a day. Clavamox 2 times a day, and karo syrup. All of them started eating on day four. Use bleach to clean inside and outside. Wash bedding and linens with bleach. Wash bottom of shoes with bleach, vehicle tires. Spray your yard with bleach diluted with water. They can be saved. Good luck.

Best Answer

Yes! My puppy Elsa survived parvo. We brought her from a not so reputable place and I soon realised that she had not had her vaccines so I made an appointment for them.

We got her Thursday night, appointment made for Monday. However, on Sunday morning she started being very tired and limp and then was sick three times in less than one hour. I called the vet and they said to bring her straight in, and her temperature was 40 so they admitted her immediately. I and only had her two nights :(

I picked her up today from the vet (after having been in the vets for 6 nights and 7 days) here is what happened to her:

Sunday - hooked up to IV, pain medication, syringe feeding, vomiting and super tired.

Monday - blood in her poo and still vomiting, still has an IV bag, still syringe feeding.

Tuesday - much brighter and better,, no vomit and no diarrhea, we can pick her up this afternoon and also eating chicken by herself....but when the afternoon came she had crashed badly, really tired, and bloody diarrhea again. Medication changed, more IV given than before.

Wednesday - were told she may not make it through the night but she did, lots brighter in the morning and much happier... but again crashed in the afternoon, more medication given, abdomen really swollen, very tired and limp, vomiting again, doesn't want syringe food, IV still in

Thursday - no more vomiting, brighter again in the morning, interested in syringe feeding... but again crashed in the afternoon so badly that the vets were worried she may not make it. Tried to put a feeding tube up her nose but she fought them so they realised there was some fight left, plasma transfusion given, IV still in

Friday - brighter....diarrhea but no blood, no vomit, syringe feeding going well, still on IV and pain medication.

Saturday - really bright, destroyed toys in the kennel so given new ones, wants to go home, no blood but still has mild diarrhea, no vomiting, eating solid food and by herself. She's coming home and we picked her up!

She was up, down, up, down. I'm not going to lie, the cost has been approx £1,500 and that's excluding the after care we need to provide for her. Without the constant care of the vets, she would have almost certainly died. She was checked and fed on the hour, every hour, was in complete isolation as she is contagious, and has been on a lot of medication.

This is a horrible disease and I am lucky that the vets gave her such good care and that she was a little fighter.

This is a beatable disease. The best thing that breeders can do is vaccinate their puppies! And I have certainly learnt the hard way that I should have made more detailed checks to ensure that Elsa was vaccinated.

I am just glad I got my baby back. Just make sure that you notice the signs and get help from the vets ASAP. And be prepared for a whirlwind of a roller coaster ride of emotions if you are unfortunate enough for your puppy to get this horrible disease, the amount of times that Elsa crashed we had almost given up hope.

Fingers crossed for any puppy suffering out there.

Xx

WOW! That's really hard to deal with! I had 3 Doobies that all died together because of that nasty thing. Awful!

Your chances aren't good but if your dogs are really strong - you DO stand a chance that they can "recover". Vets and meds have come a long way since my ordeal so, ya really never know.

BUT.....Parvo floats in the air and, as my vet told me, can stay in your yard for up to a full year! Make sure that you spray the yard and possibly the fences around the dogs.

I feel for you and wish you all the luck in the world!!!

Tam

ps...I have started giving my dogs parvo shots myself. It's really easy and saves you a lot of $$ AND keeps the dogs vaccinated!

I've got a 4yr old/92lb black lab that survived Parvlo when he was about 4mo old. It was a really tough time and he was so sick we thought we would lose him but he's a fighter. As Corrie mentioned the pedialyte keeps then from getting dehydrated and the pills are a joy to get down their throats, but they're worth it all!

Good luck

Our Jack Russell had parvo - though the place where we got him said he'd had his shots. We took him to the vet and he stayed over the weekend with an IV. He came home a bit weak, but we fed him exactly as the vet instructed and he's doing great now. I read somewhere that once they've had parvo, they need to be fed very good food, so we only feed him Iams now. You'd never know he was ever sick. The only other time he was sick was when my husband forgot and fed him fried green tomatoes. Even though he loved them, his poor tummy sure didn't like that one. But he came out of that one too. So good luck, and they can survive!

I have never had any problems with Parvo, but we keep out pets vaccinated. This is VERY important, as I know you are finding out now. I hope all turns out well. Parvo is deadly.

I had a chow mix who was so weak when we realized he was sick, that we thought we would lose him, too. But, we caught it late and he lived 18 years! If you caught it early, your outcome should be better. I wish you luck!

About 4 years ago my black lab husky mix came down with parvo. I called vet after vet and none would take her without payment up front. Finally I found one that would take her with only a hundred dollars down. He told me it didn't look good but he would try if that is what I wanted. Of COURSE I wanted that!! So 5 days of intensive care and on an I.V. she made it threw. Vet said she was a fighter. So yes there are some happy endings! Good luck with your furbabies and I hope they make it!!

Our toy poodle puppy got it and upon vets advice treated him at home. Between 3 of us we spent 24 hours a day with him for 3 days. We had a syringe and every 30 minutes we gave him a syringe of gatorade and baby food. After three days he was fine. Good luck.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. After being at the vets for a week, we went to visit Tuesday night, and found our little man in a state that I felt was beyond the point of no return. The vet suggested we bring him home to spend final hours with him, we gave him baby food by syringe, and lots of TLC, and he was still with us in the morning, so we took them back to the vets for the day where she gave them syringes of fluid subQ and continued antibiotic treatments. We brought them home at night the next two nights, and low and behold TODAY they both decided to eat a little baby food without the aid of a syringe. They are home again tonight and hopefully will not have to return over the weekend. This is the most horrific virus I have ever dealt with and I will forever encourage anyone with a furry friend to have them vaccinated. God bless everyone for your kind words and thoughts during this horrible ordeal. You helped me to stay positive and I appreciate it more than you could know. I am adding a picture of our beloved Bugs and Oreo who did not win the battle. They will be in our hearts forever!!

This is Oreo

Hi. I have a boxer mix that had parvo at age one. He's now 5. The first sign was he wouldn't eat anything, I tried giving him everything I could think of even cat food just to see and with no luck, he wouldn't touch it. The next day he wouldn't drink so I knew something was wrong and I have heard the symptoms before and just knew that was what he had. The vet wanted to test him for everything else even xrays I told him no just do the parvo test and sure enough it was positive. I was so scared I would have to put him down but the vet told me because he was in good weight and young enough he could be treated and sure enough 3 days at the vets he was cured! He got his parvo shots and 1 year later the same thing again so back to the vets we went and I asked if a dog was vaccinated against parvo could they still get it. I was told by the vet that if they had it once it is still possible to get it again even with shots, it's highly unlikely but it is possible. But this time it was a intestinal virus. I was told by someone online that said he dealt with parvo from all of his dogs to give them gatorade. The vet gives them iv fluids and antibiotic as my dog was sent home on.

I hope this helps someone seeking help with this.

Our own parvo puppies were healed at home using Parvaid - http://www.parvopuppy.com or http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heal_parvo.html The vet wanted $7200 to treat them and we just didn't have that kind of money. It healed all 5 of our puppies and dosed preventatively (10 drops 4x/day for 5 days) it prevented 2 of our 5 puppies from coming down with any symptoms. Our worst puppy missed one meal and most puppies are healthy and well within 48 hours of dosing. Before finding Parvaid, the vet already lost 1 puppy and euthanized another. =( IF we'd have had Parvaid on hand before they get sick, those 2 puppies would still be alive today.

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Here are some retail stores that carry Parvaid - http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/retailers.html

They can survive. Think positive, pray, get iv bags from vet they will teach you how to do at home it is easy. Antibiotics to fight disease my dog was on clavamox 125mg 2 tabs every 12 hours. Feed boiled chicken and rice. If you can't afford the iv get pedialyte and drop make sure they stay hydrated! Dehydration is usually what kills them.

I have a beautiful 1 year old pit bull who got parvo he had all his shots but somehow he still got it. He could not walk and he would not bark the vet said he would not make it.

I treated him at home giving him pedialite orally and injecting it under his skin several times a day(this helps the dehydration). Along with vitamins and antibiotics. It has been six days since I started the treatment and he is up and wagging his tail he is still very thin but he is eating on his own. The vet saw him today and was surprised at the improvement. My dog is gong to make it!

I have a 14 week old Chihauhau named Chuie. About a week ago I took him to the vet and they said he had parvo. Not having the money for a very expensive treatment I visited this site and I bought gatoraid and a medicine dropper.

Through the next 24 hours I feed him every hour, the next day he wasn't doing much better so I added lots of prayer and love to his diet, by the third day he was playing some and eating bologna.

Every day he showed more improvement. He weighed 2lbs when he got sick and now weighs 2.6lbs and is eating again. He truly is a miracle pup thanks to god.Don't let the vet discourage you into thinking your pup has no chance, because with prayer anything is possible

I just went through the Parvo with 4 dogs. 2 died, 2 recovered after getting Parvaid and using that and pedialyte and gatorade. Both survivors had gotten so bad they could barely walk, even bloody stool and vomit, but today both are doing great, eating soft dog food and playing again. The dogs got the Parvo after the youngest pups were vaccinated. Oddly the two older (10 months old) pups that were vaccinated last year also got it. One 3 month old and one 10 month old died while one of each age survived!

Things were pretty ify with the youngest survivor until yesterday afternoon when he suddenly climbed up on the couch where I was napping between doses and he was wagging his tail and started licking my face, I knew immediately he felt better! I fed him some chicken broth and he drank it all, then gave him some soft dog food and he ate that and has kept it down. He later ate some more and has kept that down too.He is also drinking lots of water.

His fur is turning soft again and his face and head aren't as sunken as they were. Both dogs began showing signs of improvement just hours after starting the Parvaid. I also let him outside with his mother and father and sister and he immediately went to his father tail wagging and said hi. He went to momma who was trying to get poppa to play tug of war and the little skinny guy tries to take the rag from momma! He's back to his fiesty old self and not afraid to take on his parents or older sister.

These pups are a mix of their momma a Rotty/Pitbull and dad a Brindle Sharpia/Pitbull and are beautiful dogs. Moms 132 lbs while dads now 60 lbs. The little guy looks just like his father, just missing the purple tongue! The 10 month old female is all white with some brown spots on her ears.

I'm so glad these two have made it past the worst of it and I'd trust Parvaid to treat dogs, you must however follow the directions exactly! The little guy I did add Amoxicillen and that addition made the difference for him as he made a complete 180 degree turn after just one pill. At the moment I keep him inside due to the cold nights but he's outside during the day and doing great! Big sister is eating well and outside with the parents all the time.

And by the way this is my six year old Flea and my super miracle parvo survivor terrier Skippy!

A week ago our 4 month old pitt, amer.bulldog puppy jade was diagnosed with parvo although she had all her shots done a month prior, my wife and i had just bought a house a few days before this and didn't have any extra money, especially $2000 which the vet told us it would cost to hospitalize her. so we had to take the only option we could afford and that was to get some antibiotics from the vet and take her home and pray for the best. When I got home I looked for hours on-line for solutions that we could use to give her and came across many postings that said pedialite every hour so thats what I did. three days later after a few sleepless nights she was back to normal and running around like she always did before.

Don''t give up hope just because you dont have the funds to hospitalize your puppy. It doesn't mean that you don't love them enough, but you can do the same thing the vets do and that is keep them hydrated as much as possible, my wife and i thank all of you for your feedback on this situation and god bless you all. This is her 4 days after being told she only had 2 days to live it truly is a miracle she's alive.

I have a puppy that is 3 1/2 months old. I left him at my neighbors when I went out of town. My neighbor had my dogs brother. On the Tuesday that I had left, she said that her puppy was throwing up. The next day she said he was throwing up blood as well as having bloody stools. I knew then it was parvo. I had my dog tested and he came out negative, that was on a Friday morning, by Saturday night he was starting to show the signs of the ugly virus. Sunday he didnt eat very much, he just kept on sleeping, and he had diarrhea.

On Monday I took him to the vet and they injected him with fluids under his skin and then also gave him an antibiotic. He still seemed to be getting worse. On Tuesday I took him back to the vet, where I found out that he was even more dehydrated, so they gave him more fluids under the skin, even more so then the day before. Later in the day of Tuesday, he had his first bloody stool. And it smelt of death. I couldn't even clean it up, my husband had to do it. I was so worried that I took him back to the vet and he gave him a shot to help with the vomiting and the diarrhea.

On Wednesday I took him back to the vet again and put him on an IV for the day that consisted of fluid, antibiotics, a formula to make him want to eat, and sugar. I picked him up that day and I could already see a difference. On Thursday he ate some food on his own without me shoving it down his throat.

By Friday he was barking again, eating more food, and drinking water on his own. I cant wait until he is fully recovered, but that's my story on how my dog survived parvo. It's the worst feeling when these poor dogs contract such a killer, but all you can do is give them love and affection, and if you cant afford a vet hospital, then do home care. Treatment whether it is home care or hospitalization is better then no care. My poor neighbor found out the hard way. Her dog died on Thanksgiving day despite her best efforts.

I am extremely happy to say that my 4 month old pit bull puppy named princess survived the parvo virus. We adopted her and her brother when they were about 2 months old and they were in very poor health and covered with ticks but we cleaned them up and fattened them up very nicely.

Their previous owners said that they had received their first round of shots so I was not worried about them getting sick until they started showing some signs of illness last week. The boy puppy began vomiting with a lot of diarrhea. He could not eat or drink anything. We thought he had eaten something that made him sick but by the second day he was skin and bones. This disease eats them up very quickly. Sadly we lost him because I was to late in finding out that it was parvo.

Well a day later the girl puppy started showing the same signs as her brother. So this time I jumped on it as quick as possible. We took her to the vet and they confirmed that it was parvo but it was just too expensive to leave her there for a whole week at the vets office.

The only thing we could afford were some antibiotics that he prescribed and some electrolyte solution. when I got home I started researching possible cures for the parvo virus. I found this website and several others that mentioned to give them pedialyte and pepto bismal. I began treatments right away even though it was an extremely messy and smelly job of cleaning up and feeding her through a syringe even though she did not want to eat or drink anything at all I did not give up. It was a 24 hour job for 3 days straight.

Finally on the fourth day she started to show signs of improvement. Today (April 18, 2010) she is eating and drinking on her own and playing a little more than before. The pepto stopped the diarrhea right away and the baby pedialyte grape flavor helped keep her hydrated. I noticed that her gums were pale so I also gave her some raw egg mixed in with the pedialyte and about 10 minutes later her gums turned a pinkish color and her eyes brightened up. She is a fighter and I am glad I found your website with all the helpful information. Do not give up try everything you can to keep your pup alive it can be done my puppy is proof of that.

My puppy started getting sick last Tuesday by Friday he was not eating but still drinking. He could hardly stand and was crying. I lost a litter of puppies 6 years ago to parvo and it was terrible. The smell is a dead give away to this terrible disease. The only thing was my Teddi was not having any other symptoms? So don't let parvo fool you. I took teddy to the vet and he was positive for parvo. He is only 6 months old. I left Teddi there for 5 days.

Teddi was treated and just came home last night! I was told he only had about a 20% chance. The day I left him at vet. Everyone told me I was crazy for spending $1300. I really could not afford the cost, I even sold my wedding ring. I prayed every night. I read all the stories on the internet and I wanted to share mine. I am so glad I left Teddi with the vet, he would have never made it. The expense was worth it. My husband and I agree that I can get another ring but not another Teddi! Please if your dog is sick get to vet fast and have hope. Life would not be worth living without hope.

I am happy to say that my Jack Russell mix that I adopted from the shelter is still doing well. We brought Cooper home yesterday and so far he is great, I was so scared he wasn't going to make it, but the vet said we got him there just in time. Please take your pets to the vet at any sign of sickness, it could save their lives, plus the longer you wait the more expensive the treatment will be.

We brought a 8wk old English Bull Terrier, the day it arrived off the Pet bus we thought it looked a bit unwell. Put it down to dehydration from long journey. But then we got a whiff of his stools and it smelt real sick. I did a lot of googling of symptoms and got him to the vet quick. Being so young and dehydrated it was important to go to vet so they could put him on a drip. He was 3 days 3 nights at vet. I decided this morning that I was going to pick him up whatever they thought. I figured after reading the posts on this site that I could care for him as they had done all they could do. And I could give him something they could not and that was a 24hr love and care and general fussing ova him like a baby!!

He's now chasing the kitten around and although he is painfully skinny he has just finished sharing a plate of food with the kitten.

Never give up hope and if everyone around you does read some of these posts.

I now have a one year old that survived parvo. He got it when he was about 8 weeks old he was on his third stage when I realised he had it. We took him and his brother in and sure enough it was parvo he spent 3 nights in a vet hospital and lots of hope led to his success. You wouldn't believe that the dog I now have once fought in a life or death situation. Sorry bout your lil guy, parvo is not fun. 1 out of like every 3 don't make it. I guess I got lucky . :)

After loosing 4 puppies to Parvo, doing what the vet asked, and still seeing them pass. I did research on the internet, I found an article about Tamiflu, went to my vet and asked for her to prescribe it for my puppies, she said go home it does not work. I was relentless contacted Dr. Jack Broadhurst office in NC, I lived in California. He told me about it, I got the medication and my dog and his brother are now 5 years old, happy and healthy.

Some vets, don't believe in it or are just greedy because it cost 3,000 or more to treat a pup at the vet office. Please research this and you will see. My sister 2 years ago got a puppy and it came to her with Parvo, I told her to ask for Tamiflu and I sent her the info to give to her vet, her vet said it did not work, well she contacted dr. Broadhurst, got the meds and her dog is 2 years old. You have to catch it quick and start treatment but it works.

My 7 weeks lab Amigo survived parvo.

It was a hard 15-20 days. I still remember getting Amigo from the breeder on a Friday evening. On Saturday, he started experiencing stomach upset, so I took him to a vet who gave him an injection. Sunday, he looked fine but Monday he stopped eating and instead started vomitting.

I immediately took him to the vet who doubted parvo (I had no idea of what it was and how serious it could be). Suddenly this cute puppy who was running around my house was in the corner vomitting, energyless. I felt hopeless at that time but me and my husband decided we will not give up and we did not.

For the next 7-8 days, Amigo got drip twice a day followed by multiple injections and canglob P. He was still vomiting and relieving himself with blood everywhere. There came a stage when one of the vets doubted if he would survive but he did.

This treatment continued for around 20 days and slowly and suddenly Amigo became better and better. Today he is a healthy 20 weeks dog.

Dont loose hope, just do what your vet says and keep praying for the noble soul.

I have 4 puppies and their parents. The 1st to get sick was the runt, she went down on a Tuesday, out of nowhere. We took her to the vet right away and they prescribed meds and under the skin fluids. It was Friday when 2 of her litter mates got sick, but she was feeling better and eating again. We immediately started the treatment for the other 2 puppies. On Sunday, the 4th puppy got sick. Then on Tuesday, we lost one of the puppies. I went out and bought colloidal silver throat spray from my local vitamin shoppe, I was very worried about the 2 that were still sick, one seemed to have no fight in him and the other, a big eater, was very lethargic. I was having to force feed them at this point, baby food and pedialyte w medicine syringes. The night I bought the colloidal silver, I sprayed each dog 2 sprays in the mouth. I woke up the next day and the 2 sick puppies were hungry! They ate boiled chicken and pedialyte mixed w some chicken broth. I was so excited. They are actually doing 10 x better and eating regularly. The shy one that had no fight is still being shy, but the other one is back to his old self and it's Thursday. Two days with colloidal silver and he is back to his old self. The other puppy is a little bit shy, but he is definitely on the road to recovery. I am so glad I got the CS, because I think the shy one, who's best mate was the puppy that died, was going to give up. They are still quarantined, but anxious to get outside. I bought a yard sprayer and have treated my yard with bleach. The vet also had us vaccinate the dogs that were not yet sick when the 1st went down. The night before the one puppy died, we had to treat them for worms as well, per the vet's advice. But out of 6, we have only had 4 get sick and 1 die. Good luck to anyone out there treating their puppies for Parvo, but get COLLOIDAL SILVER!!

Hi. How strong was the concentration of the colloidal silver you used? I have 45ppm here and i will talk to my vet about this approach tomorrow. I just dropped my 8-week old chow off the dog hospital.

Mother and daughter comforting a young smiling husky as vet looks on
Does Anyone Have a Positive Parvo Story?
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 20, 2008
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎉
🎄