Getting Smell Out of Carpet

I thought so far I have taken care of the smell that is omnipresent in Indian homes by keeping doors, windows, fans open/on during and after cooking. But recently I moved to a million dollar home that was beautiful. But from day 1, I found the carpet to be smelly. My earlier home had carpets too but was not smelly. I had decided to do a carpet cleaning before moving in, but my realtor said - why waste money as it has already been cleaned once by the seller ( I doubt that very much now). I kept my travel bag in a closet downstairs (where the carpet smells). When I travelled from CA to FL (in a long flight) for work - on opening my luggage at the hotel I found that all my new and expensive clothes got the typical smell. I travelled next week with another set of clothes and they all got the smell again. I treid to take care of them by keeping the closet door open in the hotel room, and turning on the fan and cooler. I still can smell them and all my nice clothes are spoiled. I do not wash my good clothes - as they lose their new texture and fall.

Back in India we never had this problem. I will either do a carpet cleaning the moment I return to CA, or will remove the carpets and install wood floor.

How can I take care of the smell - I am really very particular about my clothes and cannot stand this smell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Molly from CA

I have a "grated cheese"jar always filled w.plain of Baking Soda.At night b-4 retiring, I sprinkle the carpets w/BS,next day it all gets vacuumed. I also find small boxes and fill them w/BS and they're in each of my closets. Does anyone else notice the smell? I only ask because most everyones home smells different. Hope it works for you. Keeper

Hi Keeper,

Thanks for your reply. I will try that. I also read in another blog that to remove odor from clothes, she is recommending to stuff stockings with BS and run it with the garment in the dryer in fan mode. I will try that with one garment at a time and see.

BTW is baking soda hazardous by any means?

I have two dogs and a cat so my carpets tend to get some pretty funky smells. I recently discovered that if you sprinkle 20 Mule Team Borax lightly on the carpet and let sit overnight (or as long as you can) then vacuuum thoroughly it neutralizes odors and helps inhibit mold and mildew. This also works extremely well for urine odors! One recipe I have come across is 1 cup 20 Mule Team borax mixed with 2 cups Cornmeal. I haven't tried with the cornmeal yet. I just sprinkle the Borax and it seems to work fine.

X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER

CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY

www.calvetsupply.com

1800-366-3047

Applications:

Kitchen: garbage disposal, compactor, refrigerator

Good on both hard and soft surfaces, including glass, disposal Refrigerator: spray and wipe counter tops.

Stainless steel, chrome, countertops, floors and fabrics

Clothing: closets, footwear, clothes washing.

Spray 3 to 10 puffs depending on the severity of the odor problem. May be sprayed into the air or onto a surface for best residual effect. Safe to spray into air conditioning systems.

Water-soluble: add 1 oz per gal. To floor rinses, carpet shampoo, solution. Add 2 oz to laundry wash cycle

reality check ! I hate to be the one to have to tell you but you, your clothes & your house all smell ! ;)

(just kidding but you said it first & at least I see honesty !) If none of the other things help - MAYBE if you cut out the section of rug that you believe is the offensive section (lucky you, you seem to think it's in the closet - so thats a BLESSING) you can replace it easily enough & because it's in an out of the way space - (at LEAST not right in the middle of your front door!) Getting a section of carpet to fit into the part you remove & splice it in would be EASY ! Good luck

I thought so far I have taken care of the smell found the carpet to be smelly. My earlier home had carpets too but was not smelly. I kept my travel bag in a closet downstairs (where the carpet smells). next week with another set of clothes and they all got the smell again. I still can smell them.

How can I take care of the smell this smell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steam Cleaning Smelly Carpet
Cleaning Smelly Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetNovember 6, 2007
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
🎄
🍂