Buying Something to Play Music

My soon to be 80 years old husband has a number of old time singers that he likes and I want to know what kind of equipment will play the music. It will have to be stand alone without the computer and I need to acquire the music. He likes Kitty Wells, Eddie Arnold, Hank Williams, Bing Crosby and Perry Como. I would like all to be fairly reasonable. I am hoping ThriftyFun can help. Thank you.

A simple CD player... I'd recommend that you get one that accommodates about 5 CDs....that way, you can 'shuffle' play the 5 CDs without hearing the same artist repeatedly...

For the CDs, a search on the internet for 'CD' will disclose several discount sources;

CD Universe, Deep Discount, etc.... ... 30&style=music&altsearch=yes ... ms&style=music&altsearch=yes

Another possibility is an mp3 player. You can get them that are very simple, and just play the music. (And if you are not looking for a lot of "bells and whistles", they are not very expensive at all!) You can learn to put songs from CDs onto it, and they're light and easy to have around. An inexpensive one can hold hundreds of songs. My father-in-law (past 80) loves his--he uses it to listen to audiobooks that my sister-in-law (his daughter) puts onto it for him.

Your local public library is a great resource for CDs. If you don't have someone to help you choose and learn to use the mp3 player, I expect you might find a librarian able to help you!

I have heard horror stories and since I am new at all this would someone please advise the precautions we should use downloading the music. I use AVG and Dr. Spyware.

Thank you all for the good information. I have purchased an mp3 and I am sure that is just what I needed.

Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 7, 2009
Closeup of a woman playing keyboard
Saving Money on Music Lessons
A blue iPod and earbuds on a black leather surface.
Buying an iPod
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Girl Playing Music Keyboard
Buying a Music Keyboard