DecorationGardening

Advice for Buying Wind Chimes

What type materials should I consider or not consider when shopping for outdoor wind chimes? They will not be in the shade and will be exposed to hot sun, rain, snow, etc. I love chimes but I do not have a patio cover and there are no trees in my backyard. They will be hung from the eve of the house. I love the sound of the bamboo ones but don't know how well they'll hold up.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Bamboo is a natural wood that is always in the elements. You shouldn't have any problems with any type of chime being out. We've had a set of metal chimes for 6 yrs, and only take them down in the winter.

We have quite a few chimes of all types in our yard. some have been up 10 years or more; metal, bamboo, copper, pipe. They all look very weathered (some are not so pretty looking now) but they all still make beautiful music! So I believe any type you get you will love and just let them age as they will. We never take ours down.

The biggest complaint I have with windchimes is no matter what type of string is used, I lucky if they last one season. The best ones that I ever had was a set my late Dad made several years ago, which I lost one time when I lived in place I couldn't use them. Anyway I loaned them to one of my daughters and during one of her moves, she left them behind. There are times I would like to choke her. lol That particular set of chimes didn't have one piece of string on them.