Freeze Soup Bones For Your Dog

I buy my dog soup marrow bones at the grocery store. They should be large enough so you dog won't choke on them. Also, they should not have small pieces they can break off (also a chocking hazard). After he eats the marrow out of the bone, I fill them with canned dog food and freeze them. They can be filled and frozen many times! My dog loves these treats, especially on a hot day. It keeps him busy for a long time!

By Rose from Pittsburgh, PA

Terrific idea.Thanks, Cecile

Thanks for the tip! I tried filling the old bone with frozen banana puree and my dog absolutely loved it!

If I boil the soup bones first then give to my dog, is this okay?

Great idea for smaller and medium sized pups but those of us with big dog "power chewers", use due care. A tenacious dog can crack shards even from large bones when you aren't watching and wreak all kinds of havoc on the digestive tract, ranging from loose stools to intestinal perforations.

If your dog is a gentle chewer, this is great--just remember to boil the bones in between each filling/freeze to make sure bacteria's gone.

Also chewing on these bones will keep their teeth tartar free and their breath fresh.

What a great idea! I've been buying these same bones for my dogs over the years, and freezing them after they get done chewing on them for a day or so, depending on the season (in wonter they get to keep them a day or so longer). But I never thought of filling them before freezing them. The dogs will love that! Thank you!

Anonymous

Rose, Great idea!

PupperMom, a huge word of caution about giving dogs cooked/boiled bones at all! Cooking softens/breaks the bones down more so than a dog chewing on them raw ever will and the cooked bone can more easily be swallowed causing intestinal blockages that might call for emergency surgery. I am saying this from first hand experience :-( If you're worried about germs on the bones before freezing just wash and rinse them well with vinegar water first.

I agree with "Pupper Mom" and it is not a good idea to leave any dog to their own device with bones especially re-boiling them.

Dogs love them,but be careful. We had a dog that a couple of times got a marrow bone stuck around her lower jaw behind her canine teeth. Once we had to take her to the vet to get it removed.