What is this plant? (Loquat)

What kind of fruit tree is this? Or if it isn't a fruit tree, then what is it?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Sherri from Orlando Florida

; that looks like A loquat tree to me.

It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years before it starts bearing fruit,

The seeds are quite large for a bird to have dropped it there.

Is there someone in your family that likes loquats? "

I do suggest you replant it further away from your fence, they can grow very large,

Not knowing what kind it is, it can grow any where from a 6 foot plant to a 20 foot plus three

the fruit looks like this

what is a loquat tree, and what kind of fruit does it grow? Can it be eaten?

jamish

It looks like a loquat tree. The fruit can be eaten and quite delicious when it's ripe. The skin can be easily peeled. It's tangy and sweet. I have 2 trees in my back yard (southern California). The fruits are considered medicinal in China and (supposedly)good for sore throat.

I have a couple of these, we call them here in the south, Japanese Plum or . They do get big, but you can keep their size down and they still produce. The fruit is sweet and juicy and are easily plantable. A bird can easily eat the fruit and drop the seed. But I have found, the birds never eat this fruit off my trees. Another name for them is a word that sounds like "meuse-pa-luce" or "mousse-pluce".

for sure those fruits are loquats. They are quite common here in Australia. The fruit is sweet, with a big pip in the middle.

Definitely a Loquat. I was just given one. I am wondering if it will grow from a cutting? The one I have has a few leaves and new branches on the bottom, but somehow has grown a very long trunk with more leaves at the top. It looks odd, so I am thinking of cutting it back and would like to try rooting the part I cut off. Lydia

Sherry, You can send that picture to the University of FL http://ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC_Subtropical_Fruit

They are very helpful. It has pretty leaves, and it looks familiar, but I don't know what it is.

Editor's Note. Please repost link as it is not working. Thanks.

Loquat is correct. They can't be started from cuttings but they are easy to start from seeds. It takes a long time for them to germinate though so don't give up. My son has a bunch of them for sale.

Yes loquat, and makes a delicious jelly or jam

Mystery Plant
What is This Garden Plant?
Home and Garden Gardening Plant InfoAugust 3, 2007
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Loquat Tree
Growing a Loquat Tree
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
🎄