Ideas for Teen Jobs

I'm a teen in high school trying to earn money. The down side is the economy is really bad right now, so that isn't helping me find or earn money for college. I live in the country so it is kind of hard to do a newspaper route or shovel snow because local plows are every where and more efficient than what I probably could do. If you have any ideas please comment.

By bunny_puppy_animal lover from MI

Best Answer

I agree babysitting is something everyone needs. If you make up signs you can hang them locally. Or even pet sitting or house sitting. When I was growing up I had a few people that would go away and I would go feed the dog, grab the mail for them, maybe water the plants, and what ever they asked me to do. I also had another woman that paid me to walk or bathe her dog. Maybe light outside work someone in your area wants? House cleaning for someone? If you ask enough people you are bound to find someone who needs help. Print up some signs that say that you are a responsible High School teenager that is looking for work and note what you are wanting to do.

Just an FYI: Print the sign up and try to make it look mature, I just recently saw a sign similar to the one I am suggesting that the person made with all different colors of crayons and to me it looked a bit childish, if I was hiring someone to help me. I surely would want them mature enough to make a sign that doesn't look like they were 5.

Good luck and I hope that you find some work! It is great that you want to try to get out there and earn your own money!

5SELL7 Thanks for another wonderful article. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? I ave a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

Best Answer

House cleaning or general chores. Lots of people can't afford a regular house keeper but need help with certain projects. I do once a month cleaning for two of my elderly neighbors. The hard stuff they can't do anymore like scrubbing floors and cleaning hard to reach places. I also help them with certain yard chores a few times a year. Also, you may be able to take care of people's pets while they are out of town. Before I had my own home and pets I used to house sit fairly often.

Best Answer

Hmm... if you're not too proud to do the "dirty work," I'm sure there will be a lot of people willing to pay you. Muck out stalls at a nearby farm, or offer to "pooper-scoop" for people who don't or can't do it for their own pets.

If you have organizational skills, you may be able to Perhaps you could help someone catch up on phone calls or take messages, as a sort of part-time receptionist. help someone get their filing in order. Be a courier, delivering print messages and packages for a small fee. Be a part-time paid companion for an elderly person. Nothing delights my hubby more than having a new audience for the stories I've heard a million times! Put your creativity to work, and remember to think outside the box. Best to you in your job search!

It's that way for all ages of people and all over. Try baby sitting. Here in SD, my grandaughters make $10.00 an hour when they babysit and that is just for one or two kids. My oldest grandaughter works is 21 and works in a daycare, and she babysits a lot at night for people that bring their kids to the daycare. Both girls only baby sit for people that they know and for some reason the people they babysit for are quite well to do. This is kind of strange that they know so many people that can afford to pay so much, because their family is really low income. When I graduated from high school I worked for two years before going to college. I had to move 60 miles from home in order to get a job, because the towns where I grew up were so small that there just wasn't enough jobs available. It was also a farming community so people didn't have much use for babysitters. They rarely went anyplace that they couldn't take their kids.

Here's two good jobs; one would be cleaning houses, and the other would be baby sitting. Those are two great jobs and easy jobs to do, and both that will carry on into college.

My boys were great demand for babysitting. They were water safety instructors, life guards, having all their rescue classes, made them top notch, even for special needs children. You had to book them weeks early for things like New Years eve. $5 an hour for an evening out is in the budget if you can afford to go out. They also had their snow blowing business (MN). One took his savings and bought the yard tractor for snow, one took the walk behind and the 3rd shovel. They could clean up a driveway and walks in 30-45 minutes. $50 earned and on their way to another house. Our winters of a lot of snow meant they kept busy. School would be late in the am by 2 hrs and so if they got up and out by 5am, they had many homes who owners had to be off to work. Their regulars got early slots and others filled in. If they did not need an early time, they did those after school. All you needed was 1 of the boys to have a drivers license.

Back to their water skills. At age 15, they were life guards at the local pools. High School one open before school in the am (so there for swimmers by 6 am) and then after school for swimming classes to be a guard at. (Or parties, other adult classes needed a LG.) I know lots of elderly still in their own homes would pay for 1-2 hrs a week vacuuming. Some hire on for baking during the holiday.

When I was a teen, I had a regular list of 'older ladies' who did not drive, which I took on their errands or did their lists and got paid to do. I also learned to fix their hair in rollers. You could be a mother's helper. One who goes along on shopping trips with mom's and kids. Extra eyes and ears. This could also be to the pool, park, etc. Check your local community ed or the elementary school for leaving notes for parents. ECFE classes are a great place to locate parents as well as you could be a paid volunteer at these classes too. One who helps the head teacher with the games, projects, etc. In our small town, there are so many non traditional ways of making cash if you network.

My boys would find a lot of ways to make money when their needs arose. Helped at the local theatre with cleaning, handyman, carrying things here and there, what started back 20 years ago still goes on.

My youngest still fills in at the theater for the owner, gets to go to any movies free. Sometimes he calls and says help Mom when he is short a 'popcorn girl'. My pay? Any movie I want to go to, my pop and popcorn. All for 1 hour max time.

Don't be afraid to call your neighbors or even your mom's friends for ideas. They may think of things to help. It is called networking. Learn to do it now and when you get out of HS, this will be experiences you can add to resumes.

I live in the middle of like nowhere my neighbors live like at least a 1/4 of a mile a part. So I can't really do anything like that. Plus right now in Michigan, there is like no snow. It all melted by the rain yesterday. And for babysitting it is a problem because all the kids that live by me are my age or 1 year younger or they are older and moved out of the house.

If you in high school you can work at places such as: Retail, Fast food,

Do it for free for atleast 20 people and ask them to recommend you to their friends. If you so excellent at it, they will recommend you. Soon you will have a bank of people who trust what you do and wouldnt mind paying

How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobDecember 27, 2010
disgruntled teen
Dealing With a Teen Who Is Acting Out
Kids gathered around cake at birthday.
14th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Rubber cleaning glove giving a thumbs up.
Homemade Cleaning Wipes
🎉
🎄