Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

We started freezing whole heads of cabbage for bulk cabbage rolls. Why do some of the heads of cabbage discolour when thawing? They are a dark horrible looking colour, but when cooked are fine.

By l from Sudbury, ON

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Anonymous [848]12/14/2009

It's simply chemical changes because of temperature and the color change is probably due to too much time in the freezer. It might taste fine but if too long in the freezer, as with all other foods, the cabbage may also have lost nutrients.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

For making stuffed cabbage rolls, put the cabbage in the freezer (whole) for a few hours until it's pretty solid. Take it out and leave it to thaw. The cabbage leaves will be soft and pliable - no need to boil them - and so easy to stuff and roll. Saves a lot of work!

By Cett from Malta, Europe

RE: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Onions in the freezer for soups and stews reduces cooking time and crying time. Something about the cold cuts the strength of the aroma that makes you cry. (09/19/2007)

By

RE: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Great tip, and boiling depletes the vitamin C that cabbage is known for. Much better! (09/19/2007)

By kimhis

RE: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

When I fix stuffed cabbage, I only cut off the leaves I need and put the rest in the crisper. I wash the leaves off in salt water and then put them in a pot of hot water till soft. They roll up ok for me and i don't waste the rest of the cabbage. I can use it another day and make two meals out of one cabbage. (09/19/2007)

By Margaret, TX

RE: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Hi there! You don't HAVE to freeze the whole cabbage of course. Just take off the amount of leaves you want and freeze those. I use a whole cabbage because my kids love stuffed cabbage rolls in tomato sauce and I make a LOT to freeze portions for later. Saves even more time. (09/20/2007)

By cett

RE: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

What a great idea!!!It's a keeper. (09/20/2007)

By thriftmeg

Archive: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Did you know that if you freeze a raw head of cabbage for 2 or 3 days you don't have to scald it to make cabbage rolls. The cabbage is soft when it thaws and easy to handle. You don't need any toothpick either. I gave this hint to a lady that worked in a school cafeteria and she said her co-workers were so glad. She said the ladies were so glad not to burn themselves scalding the cabbage.

Source: I think I read it in a hint somewhere. I can't remember. I've used this hint for over forty years now. I've used it often. We have a garden so when we have cabbage I make a lot of cabbage rolls and I freeze some.

By Gertie from Erath, LA

RE: Freeze Your Cabbage For Rolls

Unstuffed Golabki Casserole
  • 2 heads medium cabbage, chopped and parboiled
  • 2 lbs. ground chuck, browned
  • 1 large onion, cooked
  • 2 cups long grained rice, cooked with beef bouillon, optional
  • (3) Cans tomato soup or tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • Caraway seed to taste, optional
  • Bacon strips, uncooked

Combine everything except the bacon. Place in greased casserole. Lay bacon on top. Cover. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until done. Remove cover the last 5-10 minutes.

You can make Unstuffed Peppers the same way. Cut up red and/or green peppers into chunks, and parboil. Mix using your favorite stuffed pepper recipe. Bake as above.

To cook long grained rice in microwave:
To a greased 2 quart casserole, add 1 cup of long grained rice and 2 cups water. Add 1 tablespoon butter, one bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Add dissolved beef bouillon, if using. Microwave with lid for 5-6 minutes on high. Microwave on medium power for 15-16 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before carefully removing the lid. (05/20/2008)

By Maryanne