Almost Homemade Chicken and Dumplings

This good old country recipe is my idea of the ultimate comfort food!

• approximately 4-5 quarts water
  • 1 small whole chicken, or 2 lbs. of chicken meat, with or without bones (bone-in and whole chicken are cheaper)
  • 4 small cans butter flavor biscuits (my mom used Pillsbury, but store brand also works)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Boil chicken at least 2 hours, until meat is tender. Turn off burner.

Carefully remove chicken from water, which is now your broth. Reserve broth. This should've cooked down to approximately 3 quarts liquid volume. Let chicken cool half an hour or so. (Refrigerate to speed cooling.) Remove any bones. Replace boned chicken in broth. Bring back to a boil.

Open canned biscuits as directed. Tear each individual biscuit into approx 4-6 pieces. Drop into boiling broth. Stir often to prevent biscuits adhering to each other. Once all biscuits are in broth, cook on medium heat approx 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.

Serve as main dish, or as side with fried chicken and any other side dish you prefer.

Source: My mother's old recipe. She made it for us often when I was a child. I've missed it and her even more since we lost her to cancer in 2006. Now that I've finally figured out how to make it like she did, I wanted to honor her memory by sharing it with my TF family.

Servings: 8
Time:30 Minutes Preparation Time
3 Hours Cooking Time

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

Thank you Jo. My family likes the new canned biscuits that's in the markets today, but at one time, they wouldn't touch them at all.

It's very nice to have an alternative method of making an old favorite even if you don't have time to make biscuits from scratch. Your recipe is definitely a keeper, and we'll all enjoy it.

My husband, our son and his wife will be at the Relay For Life tomorrow from 2pm until Sat. morning at 8am.. Your mom will have a candle lit in her memory, I promise you. My mom and hubby's mom will each have a candle as well.

We'll be participating in a beautiful ceremony that takes place on the track at Florida Atlantic University after dark. All lights are turned off and those candles light the way for the people walking the track. Every minute of those 18 hours, there are many, many people who will be walking that track.

Hugs,

Julia / Pookarina

I've always had such bad memories about chicken and dumplings that I never thought to try making them myself. My mom's dumplings always turned out as large thick lumpy dry paste balls that I simply couldn't swallow no matter what I tried and they always ended up, forkful by forkful, hidden in my napkin. LOL! Well, I think your mom's choice of dough will make for some edible dumplings and will most definitely give this recipe a try. :-)

PS - No mean offense meant to my mom but she certainly wasn't a good cook. I think that's part of what inspired me to make pleasingly palatable dishes.

Thank you and God bless you for honoring my mother, Pookarina. And oh, poor Deeli! I'm sure my mom's recipe will be much better than what you were subjected to as a child. My mom was the best cook, she could make homemade baking soda biscuits that nearly melted in your mouth. If I can ever remember the recipe, I'll post it. Hugs to you both!

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesMarch 30, 2011
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings Recipes
Campfire Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎄
🍂