Removing Aphids Organically - Categories:

Pest ControlGardening

Removing Aphids Organically

I need an organic way to get rid of the aphids on my squash plants.

By Susie from Shingle Springs, CA

I have heard that a dish soap and water spray works on roses, but have not tried it. Worth a shot!

Dishsoap for aphids are the best way to do first. In fact, any bug a boo you have going in the garden, use that method first, before something stronger.

If you only have aphids you're doing good! My biggest problem with growing squash or anything in that family is the squash bug and the cucumber beetle. I had for the first time ever an infestation of aphids last year. I had always heard a strong blast of water will rid them. I thought, how silly! I tried it last year and it does work. That's a more immediate resolution. But here are some natural ways to rid of them other than the blast of water:

Lady Bugs love them (I purchased them through the mail last year)

Or -1 TBS.Canola oil/3 drps. Ivory soap/1Qt. water/spray

Or- Aphid traps/make flypaper (Tanglefoot/in a spray can at your local, usually small independent gardening shops)

Or-1Lemon or Lime grated into 1pnt. boiled water/steep over night/strain/spray or use a paintbrush to apply on plant

Or-1TBS. hot sauce (Tabasco)/6cloves garlic/1Qt. warm water/steep for a couple hours/strain/spray

Or-1/4 c. lime/1gal. water/4drps. liquid soap/spray

Or-crushed up marigold/boiled water/few drops. soap

Or-sweet potato water

Or-sometimes foil around the base of the plant will deter some pests

Hope at least one of these you'll find helpful. Good luck!