Add Leftover Cheese to Sauces

I love different cheeses, but I don't always get to finish them, so if I have some leftover that has gone moldy I cut off the mold and make them into a cheese sauce. Depending if you get different cheeses each time you end up with some quite nice tasting cheese sauces and no two are ever the same.

By Jackie from Adelaide, Australia

What do you add to the chees to make it "cheese sauce"?

Your idea for using leftover cheese is great! But I just wanted to post a caution about using moldy cheeses, even after cutting off the mold. The FDA site in the U.S. states that the mold we see on the surface actually penetrates deeply into the cheese - like tiny fingers of mold. To be safe, you need to cut off at least an inch or more deep into the cheese if it's a hard cheese. If it's a soft cheese, you need to just throw it out. Mold can cause serious health problems if consumed or left in the refrigerator. Sometimes, we just have to throw things out :-(

Also - There's a great old French recipe called fromage forte which is basically a spread made leftover cheese, garlic and white wine (and sometimes butter). Use it cold as a spread or broiled on bread. I use Jacques Pepin's recipe.

The above info regarding moldy cheese being unsafe IS true! I was told this from the health dept. official in my city. It is advisable to throw it away.

Leftover Shredded Cheese
Using Leftover Cheese
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 18, 2009
Cheese Fondue
Fondue Recipes
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Making Homemade Sauces
Making Homemade Sauces
🎉
🎄