Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

By Brenda 1

I am looking for a pattern for a pioneer bonnet.

By Brenda from Mesa, AZ

Filter Sort

By Vi Johnson 286 801 Flag

I have a bonnet, I could take a picture and email it to you if you want. Maybe I can trace a pattern from it for you. Send me an email if you want to try this. GG Vi

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Making a Bonnet With Wire Shaped Brim

I bought a bonnet at a flea market, but can't figure how to make it. It has elastic around the crown and a clothes hanger to bend the outer edge around the face.

By R MC from Paragould, AR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,695 Flag

Without seeing the bonnet you bought I'm having to guess, but more than likely the wire used is a commercial sewing notion called millinery wire. It's lightweight and won't drag the brim out of shape.

The maker may have adapted a coat hanger by bending it to the shape of the brim pattern he/she used, and then stitching it into the edge of the brim, or forming a casing (tube) to insert the wire, but I think it would be too heavy, frankly.

The elastic probably is either across the back, or around the crown to provide a 'one-size-fits-all' fit.

The best thing to do if you are interested in reproducing the bonnet is to look at the costume or historical section of the majour pattern companies like Simplicity, McCall's, and Butterick; there is also a pattern company called FolkWear with a huge catalogue of historical patterns including bonnets. I've included links to these catalogues, hope it helps:)

http://www.simplicity.com/

http://www.mccall.com/

http://folkwear.com/patternindex.html

Sometimes it's a good idea to invest in a commercial pattern for a unique item like a sunbonnet-you learn all the secrets and can adapt the pattern to your design ideas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

I need to make 20 pioneer bonnets, does anyone have an easy pattern for this?

Cindy

Feedback:

RE: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

I have made bonnets for school day projects by using a pizza pan to cut 2 layers. I then sew them around the two right sides together. If you want to dress it up you can sew lace to the right side of one layer before sewing it together. Make sure the lace is facing inward for when you turn it you want it to be on the edge. Then lay other piece on top, stitch around the edge or in same stitch as lace. Leave an opening and turn to right side. Stitch opening closed by machine or hand.

Take a piece of elastic measure child's head not tight just snug. Sew elastic together. Mark elastic center and fold opposite and mark sides. Do the same on hat. Take a small ruler and mark in on hat 2 inches from edge all the way around., so you will have a guide or place a piece of tape 2 inches from needle on machine and use for a guide. Place elastic to the under side using guide and stitch pull the elastic a little bit at a time til it matches the marks you measured (should be 4) back tack at the end.

Hope this is helpful. If pizza pan is not big enough find a larger circle to use as pattern. I made this for my sister for "Pioneer Days" at school and she is 36 now and never forgot the hat I made her. (05/17/2005)

By seamstress

RE: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

My daughter and I made this pattern a while back: sunbonnetsue.com.
Instead of the bias tape, we just seamed it. (06/12/2005)

By Paula

RE: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

I am very disappointed in the Mother Earth News site. The directions look really good, but where is the pattern? (05/13/2008)

By J. Greenfield

RE: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

On the Mother Earth News site click on "image gallery" in the article tools box in the upper right hand corner to get the pattern and other pictures related to the article (05/13/2008)

By Judebs

Archive: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

I am looking for an old fashion sunbonnet pattern for a child, a covered wagon style. Can you help?

By Mickey from CA

Feedback:

RE: Pioneer Bonnet Pattern

The site is www.smoke-fire.com They have the bonnet patterns, dress patterns, etc. from frontier times; like little house on the prairie styles. (01/14/2011)

By GrannyJenny

girl wearing a bonnet holding a basket of grapes
Bonnet Patterns
Crafts SewingFebruary 24, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Bonnet Patterns
wood toolbox
Pioneer Solutionism
Plastic Rain Bonnet
Using a Plastic Rain Bonnet
Native American War Bonnet
Native American War Bonnet (Headdress) Patterns
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 7:09:42 PM on 10.0.2.14 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings