Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Use Ketchup to Polish Brass

Use hot sauce or ketchup to clean brass! Works wonders!

By Blondechick from Canaan, ME

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Vi Johnson [231]03/28/2010

Tomato sauce or tomato paste will clean copper bottom pots and pans right up too. GG Vi

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Use Ketchup To Polish Brass

I have an old dresser that has brass knobs that have gotten very tarnished over the years. I tried Brasso, Bar Keepers Friend, etc. to no avail. I finally found the solution.

Ketchup! Yes, you read that right. Place the knobs in the a pan and cover with ketchup. Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes. Then rinse and wipe. Voila!

Source: Chemistry!

By Michael the Moe from Forestville, MD

RE: Use Ketchup To Polish Brass

Try Brassmate. It's a liquid that requires no polishing. I would be willing to bet the knobs are lacquer coated. (04/27/2009)

By Chef Marcus

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.