Stacey's Christmas Tradition

"A Treasured Tradition"

I just wanted to share a wonderful tradition that I started about five years ago and I've enjoyed it so much. I call it my "Christmas Eve walk."

I had been feeling a little depressed this particular Christmas Eve and was trying to come up with something I could do to make myself feel better when an idea came to me. We had been baking Christmas goodies all day, so I got together a plate of cookies, candies and other things, wrapped it all up in plastic wrap, put a bow on it and left the house. What I wanted to do was "feel" out the right place. I just wanted to walk until I came to a place that seemed like it needed some cheer.

After walking for about five minutes, I came around a corner to a group of houses I'd never been to before and stopped. There it was; the house that needed a little Christmas magic. It was Christmas Eve and from inside the house, I could hear a baby crying and the vacuum going.

Smiling, I carefully went up to the porch, set the plate down, rang the doorbell and ran. I stopped just out of sight behind a fence and listened as the vacuum went off and the door opened. A few moments later, I heard them pick up the plate and shut the door. I was grinning from ear to ear all the way home and I sure felt a lot better. Ever since then, I take my Christmas Eve walk and I don't stop until I've reached the "right place." It sure brightens up the holidays and gives me something to look forward to each year! It certainly is a "treasured tradition."

By Stacey from Orem, UT

WHAT A WONDERFUL IDEA!!! SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I WOULD ENJOY DOING...MAKING SOMEONE HAPPY!!

I ike it too! l'm sure it would make me as happy as the recipient. thanks for the great idea.

A wonderful idea. It would cheer anyone up. Thanks for being so thoughtful.

Excellent idea. But what about staying next time. You just might make a new friend.

What a great idea--nothing like serving someone else to lift your own spirits.

Stacey,

That sounds like a really great idea. Seeing how we can't have a Christmas this year maybe that's what I will do.

Peace & Love,

Barb

That's about the coolest tradition I've heard yet! I'm gonna try it!

Hi Stacey, This is the most thoughtful case of better to give than to receive. You are a blessing to us all!

Thank you all! Merry Christmas everyone!

Christmas Morning tradition for children:

The parents hide the baby Jesus from the Nativity Scene in their home; the children have to find the baby Jesus and return it to the Nativity; sing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus - this is done before the children open their Christmas gifts. The children should also offer baby Jesus a gift whether it be an offering for Sunday School, obedience to their parents, quote a Bible verse, or to learn a Bible verse daily; pray more or other suggestions from their parents. This really keeps the reason for the season in focus for children.

Your story is absolutely heartwarming! You're a real inspiration!

what a wonderful idea stacey

bless you

I hope there was some indication that the people living there observed Christmas. I'd hate to ram Christmas down the throat of some nice Jewish or Muslim family that just needed a break from the constant bombardment from our holiday. (Yes, our holiday is a bombardment whether we admit it or not. Imagine how non-celebrants must feel.)

Otherwise, it is a terrific idea! One of the best treatments for depression is to help someone else.

Decorated Christmas Tree
Family Christmas Traditions
Holidays and Parties Christmas TraditionsDecember 17, 2005
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
A girl opening a small gift.
Christmas Countdown Gift Ideas
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄