Tying Ribbon to Cat Toys

I want to put ribbons or some long fibers on the balls that my cat likes. Hopefully it will make her run around and get exercise, she's a lay-about kitty. I don't want her to chew them up and get them stuck in her system (previous experience with Mylar). What is your experience? I was thinking grosgrain ribbon, but I'd like something not quite as heavy, but the kitty's health overrides everything else. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tennesue from Bristol, TN

I don't know about the ribbon situation, but the best way I've ever seen to get almost any cat running around and exercising is by playing with them using a cheap laser pointer. I have not yet met a cat who wouldn't chase the little point of light around for hours.

You don't have to get the ones marketed to pets. There are cheap ones on the market for about 10 to 12 dollars at pet shops, office supply stores, Target, etc. I've even found them at the dollar store at times.

(WARNING: Please note, you should never, ever shine the laser pointer at anyone's (humans or pets) eyes.

Physical play time interaction is the best and safest and is exercise for you both ;-) It only takes a few minutes of each day and you both will benefit physically and emotionally ;-)

As tired as I might be at the end of the day (and I am not in real good physical condition) I'll get on the floor with Rachel The Cat and throw her toys (balls and cat nip pillows) and even follow her on hands and knees to grab the toys back and throw them again and do so until we're both exhausted ... It's beneficial and safe for both of us because we get winded and have fun in the process ;-)

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. PLEASE...NEVER use any type of ribbon for your furbaby to play with. They can chew an end off and get it stuck in their throat. If this happens NEVER pull it out, go straight to the Emergency or your Vet immediately. You can buy safe toys for your kitty to play with. Happy New Year

I make fleece blankets and the long pieces I cut off are great for dangling in front of the cat for him to chase. Also I just purchased plastic jingle balls that had chunky yarn glued to them with pieces of the yarn left sticking out so it gets the cat chasing them. They were in the pet store and pet approvexd:) I plan on getting some plastic ball for cats cheaply at the 99 cent store and covering more with chunky yarn leaving 3 inch tails that attract the cat when you roll it to him.

Hope this helps.

I create balls out of yarn. Just wrap a nice tight ball of any size and leave a long tail on it or weave in the end. Also tie them on doorknobs for more fun play.

Pets Cats Cat ToysDecember 22, 2008
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
kitten playing
Homemade Cat Toys
A Christmas tree made out of ribbon.
Ribbon Craft Ideas