Glass Block Lights

I would like to find directions for making lighted glass block decorations.

Hi there,

I made my first "present" for under the tree in just a few minutes. lowes (hardware) has the blocks with the hole already drilled for around 9 dollars, I found ribbon at the dollar store, the 25 white lights and nice big bow at walmart.

mine is not as beautiful as some that I have seen but it is my first and it took five minutes and looks wonderful under the tree. I plan on doing more later when I have more time to be more creative. Good luck to you!

Purchase a diamond drill bit, I use at least a 3/8 and use a water bottle when I drill to keep the bit from overheating. Can also use a special oil.

I then rinse the glass block with warm soapy water and let dry overnight before I put the lights in them. Sometimes put them by the heat register so they dry thoroughly.

November 23, 2009 Flag

My husband and I have just returned from 5 weeks in the US. Whilst there, we saw the beautiful glass block lights available. We would like to start making them.

We have access to the glass blocks and the LED lights, but would also like to get some ideas for how we can get decorative pieces, ie. ribbons, bows etc. We can't seem to source appropriate ideas/products here in Australia. Can someone point me in the right direction?

By Denise in Oz from Qld, Australia

Glass Block Lights

We received several different types of glass blocks as gifts a couple of years ago. Two of them came from the same family. They used stencils (that they copied and cut out) and did some sandblasting to form an etched look. Then they used wide ribbon (same width as block edge) and tied up. The other ones came with light inside (drilled hole in bottom) and also had a ribbon tied. They looked like packages. I really like the 'etched' ones because they didn't look so Christmassy and they could stay out all year. Good luck in this venture. (04/07/2009)

By batmenj_5

Glass Block Lights

Hi Denise, this is a great craft idea. If you look on this site you can find a wealth of ideas, pictures, and tips on how to decorate the glass blocks. I made my first one last Christmas and gave it to my older sister. She loved it and in fact, is displaying it year round in her living room. Have fun and enjoy this awesome craft idea! Nancy (04/09/2009)

By Rookie Crafter

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsNovember 23, 2009
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights