Couscous Veggie Chicken Salad
- 1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- sesame oil (or use peanut or canola oil)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 package grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 package clover or alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 cup dressing (balsamic vinegar)
- 1/8 cup sliced or chopped almonds
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 Tbsp. butter
Notes: Couscous is a type of small pasta. I got a multicolored kind at Trader Joe's. You can buy some of these ingredients, like the couscous, in the bulk foods section of larger grocery stores. The spices are extremely cheap if you just get a small amount. If you can, use the sesame oil, as it adds a nice flavor. A little goes a long way.
- Cut chicken breast into small pieces and saute in sesame oil until cooked. Add almonds near the end so they get a little browning, too. Set aside.
- Put 1 cup water in a sauce pan with 1 Tbsp. butter or oil. When the water boils add 1 cup couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Mix with the cooked couscous with the herbs and veggies. It's best if you let it sit for a few hours before serving so the flavors can blend together and is even better the next day. Serves 4 as a main dish salad.
Note: Feel free to add other veggies that you'd like. I made this up one night. It has a middle eastern taste and we really enjoyed it.
By Susan from ThriftyFun
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Related Content(article continues below)
In This Article
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 24, 2017 at 1:37:21 AM on 10.0.2.79 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us