Hamster Cage Cleaning Made Easier

Litter train your little critter and you'll cut down on the number of cage cleanings required.

To get the little fella trained, just put a little clumping scent-free kittty litter into each corner. When your little friend had decided which corner will be the "outhouse", you can use a closed in or open accessory specifically designed for such use. Just put a little of the soiled kitty litter in with the fresh stuff (until he gets the idea, then just use clean) and your critter will use the "toilet" every time. It really cuts down on the odor that small animals can cause and you won't need to change the shavings as frequently.

By Beanygurl

snoopy the hamster

This works for Rabbits too. All these little critters are very sensitive about their habits and will easily be litter trained. I had one rabbit that used to use the cat litter box when he was let loose in the house. We didn't train him to do that--he figured it out himself!!! He didn't have a problem with it but the cat always glared at him when he used it!!!! I have also heard of people training cats to use the people toilet!!

Thats great advise!

What a cute hamster! But aren't they all.

I potty-trained my adorable dwarf hamsters (had to say that!). I cut the bottoms off of cottage cheese containers for them to use - easily disposed of. It really makes a difference in the cleanliness issues in the tanks.

I trained my cat to use the toilet. It was fairly easy, and it's so much nicer! lol

Peach (Guest Post) 01/22/2005

---I have also heard of people training cats to use the people toilet!

I am hoping this will help my friend who has 4 guinea pig cages (5 guinea pigs) and cleaning all the cages is hard on her... :)

Litter Training a Hamster
Litter Training a Hamster
Pets HamstersJanuary 22, 2005
looking down into potato cage with new growth
Building a Potato Cage
Close up of hamster in cage
Cleaning a Hamster Cage
Hamster Eating Brocoli in Cage
Setting Up a Hamster Cage
Photo of a cute hamster.
Homemade Hamster Toys