Suggestions for Sewing Curtains Using a Stretchy Fabric

I am trying to make cafe curtains from cotton fabric that looks like thermal or "old timey" dish cloths. It stretches up and out at the top and down and out on the bottom edge. I read about using a Teflon presser foot, ball point needle, and tissue paper. Will that work on stuff that isn't a knit? What about machine basting along the edges? Any other ideas or 1st hand experience with this stuff?
Thanks.

By Sue J from Alameda, CA

Do you have a scrap of that fabric that you can do a little test on?

If so, sew a hem in it, then wash and dry it. Lots of times, fabrics will stretch and pucker when you sew them, but once they are washed and dried, they come out fine. This happens to me when I sew t-shirt fabric or fleece.

Are you using a straight stitch? A zig-zag works better on knits.

I would never use stretchy fabric for curtains, not only will it stretch out of shape when sewing but is going to be constantly stretching while hanging. If you must use that fabric then I would consider adding an iron on stabilizer to the back to minimize the stretching.

Crafts SewingDecember 28, 2010
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
A sewing machine making repairs.
Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
🎉
🎄