Wedding Gift For Son

I need some gift ideas for my son and his future wife.
I have absolutely no clue as to what to buy them as a wedding gift. He is in the service and they plan on getting an apartment. I can't spend a lot of $$ but want a nice gift. Thought about getting them a bible? What do ya'll think?

By imaqt1962

When DH & I first got married 9 yrs ago he was in the Army. I received a great heirloom Bible from my grandparents but, what we really needed were "things" to set up a household.He had lived in the barracks for several years & I had lived in my Dad's house.So, if they already have housekeeping set up then I would definitely get them something "sentimental"-the bible, an engraved frame,a nice clock, or maybe something engraved/stamped with the wedding date & their initials.(Things Remembered has some nice things at a reasonable price.) Either way I'm sure they will love it b/c its from you & you thought about them on their special day.

Why not get them a gift card from Wal Mart? Say $25 (or what you would have spent on another gift). That way, they can have a bit of a fall back, not to mention they can refill (reload?) it and sock it away for tougher times. Or with these gas prices outrageous, get them a $50.00 gas card. Some stations sell them like the Wal Mart Cards. Or even more generic, some places sell Visa and Master Cards like that. YOU set the limit when you buy it, as you use it, you deplete the balance, but you can reload it and you can use it anywhere that accepts credit (and possibly debit) cards. No feelings are hurt if they do not love the item you picked, and you have helped start their life together.

I got married last December and the things I was most glad to receive was household items. I got towels and small kitchen appliances.

I think a family Bible is a wonderful idea. It is so critical to the foundation of their home! I went to Amazon and found very reasonable prices on Bibles.Perhaps you could have it stamped with the new family's names. Good luck

My mother and mother-in-law got together and made us a family photo album. Pictures of us and our siblings as kids, photos of our parents and grandparents as kids as well as their weddings. They did it in the form of a scrapbook so they could each do their pages and then put them together at the end. They wrote names, dates (when known) and places together with some nice thoughts on most of the pages. It's a true treasure! We both love it and since it's a scrap book we can add pages later!

When my husband and I got married 11 yrs ago, someone got us a picnic basket full of plastic tablecloth, napkins, plastic plates, cups, flatware etc. I absolutely loved it. It was a great excuse to picnic...very romantic and functional! Still have it and use it. I thought it was such a great idea that I have done the same for gifts.

I'd tell them that they were going to get a gift after they move into their apt. and it will be something they choose. They don't know which gifts will be coming their way until after they've moved in. No need for duplicatons.

Or, the other equally useful thing would be a gift card to a department store (Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, ...) in their vicinity.

After I moved into a house, my parents bought me drapery rods. You just never realize what you are going to need until you move in!

I think a Bible is a perfect gift. If you want to do something personal to go along with it, make a collection of your son's favorite recipes. You could also give them a calendar with family birthdays written in on the date, and an address book with family addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc. in it.

YES!!!!! A bible is the perfect gift for your son and daughter in law. They need a firm foundation to start their life on and the word is it. Too many people now adays think stuff will make them happy. I would suggest the Thompson-Chain referance bible, it is such a great study bible. Such a great choice for a gift. RoseMary B

only if they are both of the same religion. it might seem rude to get him a bible of his faith, if she is clearly of another. almost as though she doesn't count... and actually i think its a poor idea. if they are religious they probably already have one, and if they arent religious, it will be a large expensive paper weight

We got married in November, right after Thanksgiving. We had 2 great bridal showers & got everything!! But the one gift that stands out in my mind, above everything else, was a beautiful Christmas wreath centerpiece arrangement complete with hurricane globe over a beautiful & unique red candle, given to us by a dear friend of the family.

How about a basket filled with pepto bismo,bandaids,cold medicine... you get my idea. I am a very practical person. It will save them a run to the drugstore in the middle to the night.

When we got married, my MIL noticed that there was a "family tree" section in the center of the Bible she was giving us and filled in my husband's family's information - it was great! I already knew my side, so it was done and ready for the additions that we made to the tree a couple of years later.

Wedding Gift Ideas
Wedding Gift Ideas
Weddings GiftsSeptember 1, 2005
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
🎉
🎄