Temporary Coverings for Mobile Home Paneling

I am renting a mobile home and we can't repaint the walls. It is the old style trailer with ugly, huge purple flowered paneling on it. Please help!

By lkoontz from Quincy, IL

The best way would be to buy or find some inexpensive fabric in a color you like. Walmart has plenty of fabrics at $1 per yard. You will need to measure the walls, figure out how much you need. Then just hang it on the wall with thumb tacks at the very top, and as needed on the sides and bottom. You could do like 3 walls in one solid, then one focal wall in a different color or print. Most of those fabrics aren't sturdy enough for furniture or heavy use clothing, but for just hanging around? Can't beat it.

Using fabric is the best idea, instead of thumb tacks, after everything is measured dip the fabric in liquid starch and apply to the walls, when you leave or need to clean it, peel it off and take it with you

"No-money" decorator Eileen Boise shows Cindy Piccoli, host of HGTV's Decorating With Style, how to decorate walls with fabric and starch for an easy-to-remove wall covering. It's a great option for people in apartments or kids in dorm rooms who can't permanently change their surroundings. The starch attaches the fabric to the wall and keeps the cut edges from fraying, and when you're ready for a change, just pull the fabric off the wall.

Materials:

Fabric

Measuring tape

Scissors

Liquid fabric starch

Utility knife and sharp blades

Clean paintbrush

Measure the walls to determine how much fabric you'll need. If you're using patterned fabric, take into account extra fabric that will be needed to match the pattern. Trim off the selvage edge of the fabric before you begin. Brush liquid starch on the wall, covering an area the width of the fabric and about 36" in length (figure A) and smooth the fabric with your hands (figure B).

Continue to cover the walls and let dry. Allow fabric to overhang the edge of the wall so you'll have an edge to trim.

Trim the edges neatly at the ceiling, the edge of the wall and the floor with a utility knife. To remove fabric wall covering, simply pull the fabric from the wall. No cleanup is required, and you can reuse the fabric for other projects.

I've often thought about doing an area in our house that would be a portable wall section so I could change it as often as I like. I'm thinking about using very thin, "drywall panels" that are about a 1/4 of an inch thick for my project. I'm not sure of the exact thickness of drywall but I know there is very thin drywall available. I would like to make a collage of photo's of each of my children/ grandchildren growing up, using a separate panel for each child.

I would lay-out the pattern on the drywall first, then with double sided tape, apply sections of my pattern to paper so I could copy it, then use the copied part on the actual project rather than use actual photo's. You would have to number or color code which paper goes beside, above or below the other paper of photo's. I'm not sure what I would use as a finish, "over all" as it must be something that won't yellow with age. I'm sure there are many products available.

Lastly, I would either tack my "finished creation" panel of dry wall to the wall or maybe use heavy duty velcro to assure it would stay in place. Heavy duty velcro may damage your existing walls, so you may want to check that part out. Tacking would probibly be your answer. What ever your design of choice may be, you could apply it to very thin dry wall for support. I'm anxious to hear your feedback.

Personally, I really like the idea of using very thin drywall as it would fit the existing walls perfectly, to the best of my "quite limited" knowledge. I would love to use color photo's that are copied in black and white only, but again I'm not sure if you can copy a colored picture and have it turn out nicely in black and white. Have fun! Good Luck! Thanx for your post! If possible, I for one would love to see your finished product!

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallsMay 4, 2009
Wallpaper installed over wood paneling.
Wallpapering Over Wood Paneling
room with wallpaper
Updating Old Wood Paneling
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Wood Paneling
Removing Water Stains from Barnwood Paneling
🎄