Health Advice For Dog With Demodectic Mange

I have a 6 month old boxer that's just been diagnosed with demodectic mange. He's on invert. per vet once a day (for a while)I've changed his diet from Nutro lg. breed puppy chow to Nature's Variety (frozen raw & freeze dried kibble) no grain or pot. With this I add a raw egg and a tablespoon of salmon oil. This is all in the attempts to boost his immune system. He isn't itching or bitting himself. Just losing his hair mostly on his face/head. There are a couple of places on his body but mostly it's on his head (AROUND HIS EYES). I'm looking to treat his skin with something that isn't going to hurt his eyes. Can anyone help?

Susan from SC

My dog has this type mange also. The vet put her on Ivomec (a cattle wormer) This cleared her up and we have kept it under control with just a dose every month or two unless she has a flare up. Since she is on Ivomec we do not have to give her the heart worm meds. The vet said this would also prevent heart worms. She is now 12 years old and doing great - just a little arthritis.

My Mom used to swear by Watkins Salve, which is still available. It is called petro-carbo salve, it's brown and consistency of thick Vaseline. We used it on a dog with mange, not sure which kind of mange.

Mom used it on everything from splinters to infections and considered it a miracle drug. I don't think it would get in the dog's eyes and might help soothe the area.

I am a veterinarian. The only safe thing you can put around your pet's eyes is simple neosporin (no cortisone). This will not kill the mites. A separate product is needed for that. Please do not put anything else on your pet's skin w/o asking a veterinarian. People on these sites mean well, but I can't tell you how many times I've treated chemical burns on poor animals whose owner read it online! Good luck

Remedies for Dog Mange
Remedies for Dog Mange
Pets Dogs HealthOctober 1, 2007
ripening rose hips
Health Benefits of Rose Hips
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
Photo of a prescription pad and stethoscope.
COBRA Health Insurance Advice
Sick Dog
Dog Throwing Up After Eating
🎉
🎄