Cat Kibble as Dog Training Treats

A lot of people use treats for dog training these days. A handy and convenient treat to use is dry cat food. The pieces are small, which prevents over feeding your dog. They are dry, so they are nice to put in a pocket for outdoor training. They seem to be much more tasty than dog kibble (I have never tasted them to find out!), but dogs seem to find them a lot more exciting as a reward.

By Kathy from Superior, WI

You are right about the convenience. However, cat kibble contains more fat than dog kibble. All cat food does. That is why dogs like it better. So that is why I do not use it, if you use a lot of training treats you might end up with an overweight and unhealthy dog.

Giving a dog cat food is not good for them, yes they are small but you can purchase a bag of premium dog food (Blue Buffalo is a holistic food no filler & other junk in it) for treats. They have small breed adult food with the tiny kibbles, or even try Cheerios. Please keep the pets with their own foods.

Dry cat food is a no no for dogs. It has a lot of other things in it that do not agree with most dogs. Can make dogs ill and they can die from it if given too much. On the other hand dry dog food is also bad for the kitties, If they eat it on a regular basis it cause liver damage and death. Know this from my own experience. I keep the cat food up high where the dogs can't get to it. I use Hollywood Stars liver flavor treats for training and have for years. I buy them at Walmart very inexpensive. I do part time dog training and they are small and work well. If you want them hard just leave them out and they dry out and the dogs still love them. Even the most froo froo dog can't turn their nose up.-- lol

I assume you are not attending a professional obedience class? Without speaking to the chief instructor about the cat treats, they may not be in the best interests of your dog's health. Please consult you veterinarian. Good luck.

Agree with syntoniser, so does the ASPCA website:

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-t ... nutrition/feeding-dogs-cat-food.aspx

Besides the fat content being higher and running a pretty good risk of making a dog overweight, the nutritional balance in cat food can also cause digestive tract issues in your dog. We've always used small bits of raw veggies like carrot slices or snap peas for beginning training ( again--in moderation).

The real trick, though, is for the human handler to switch the dog from an edible treat to either play with a favorite toy or good old-fashioned praise as reward when the dog has learned what you're trying to teach.

Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Photos Pets DogsJanuary 19, 2011
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
soft cat food
Feeding a Cat Soft Food
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🎉
🎄