Remove Water Stains in Toilet

I am a real nutcase about my bathrooms. Our toilets are still fairly new, so there is no need for them to have brown stains. I had a ring around my bowl and streaks coming down where the water runs into the bowl. Since I use CLR on my faucets I decided to dump some into the toilet bowl to try and get rid of that stubborn stain that wouldn't go away. It worked! Now the bowl is new potty clean.

Sometimes those toilet stains are from bad water and should be dealt with as such. Regular bowl cleaners won't work on mineral deposits. I wrote an email to the CLR people to suggest they make a little disc to put into the flush tank to clean as you flush. I'll let you know what their response is.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

Top Comment

I had the same problem a few days ago. Saw this on the Internet and it works so good. Pour a bucket of water in your toilet to force a flush and take the water level down. Use a scratch free sponge and BarKeepers Friend to lightly scrub. Works like a charm!

Didn't work.

First off CLR stinks for removing rust because you need to scrub so much, for your toilet bowl try SNO BOL which you can buy at Walmart or which you can usually buy at the dollar stores, both literally let the rust RUN down the moment they touch them. I use them all the time. Lynne

Lynne:

I've tried just about everything from Limeaway, bleach, and even a pumice stone; (all that did was scratch the porcelain). I'm just about ready to surrender!! Any other suggestions?

Alan in Sacramento, CA

What is CLR?

Calcium Lyme Rust. "CLR" is a liquid cleaner for removing calcium, lyme and rust deposits/build-up. Wear gloves and read all instructions before use. Make sure the item you intend to use it on is safe for the product.

It can be purchased at places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot.

I tried Limeaway. Isn't that like CLR?

Didn't work AT ALL!

I have those brown hard water stains too in my bowl and just hate it!

I've tried Lime Away, bleach, and yes, even a pumece stone. All the stone did was scratch the heck out of the porcelain. I'm ready to surrender to my bowl.!!@#@ Any suggestions?

Alan in Sac Town, Ca

Toilet bowl
Cleaning Toilet Bowl Stains
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 2, 2011
A toilet being cleaned with blue water.
Cleaning Blue Stains in a Toilet
Toilet being scrubbed with a toilet brush by someone wearing pink rubber gloves
Cleaning Hard Water Stains from a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎉
🎄