My Hair is Shedding

How can I stop my hair from shedding?

Salie from Melbourne, FL

There is a book called the Bald Truth about Women's Hairloss. Maybe you can find a copy at the library or ebay.

You have an increase of male testerone in your body. My hair is currently falling out because I am at the 3 month mark after having a baby (very common).

You can try lots of things.

-Garlic oil (from capsules) rubbed into wet hair and wrap a hot towel around it. Kinda stinky, my roommates called me Roast head, since I smelled a pot roast.

-Hair Skin and nails vitamins.

-Scalp massage.

-Stop coloring your hair and blow drying if possible.

-Don't pull it up in rubberbands, keep the pressure off the scalp.

-See a dermatologist if you have insurance to do tests (they can also prescribe Spironolactone which may help)

-And finally if all else fails you can use Rogain for Men extra strength 2.5% (Sams has a much cheaper version). However, once you start Rogain, you really can't stop, but I will say it should stop the shedding very quickly and start new growth (my hair also changed texture). However if you stop Rogaine, they say you will lose all of your hair grown from it.

Check out this link

Good luck. Remember it's not really shedding unless its more than 100 hairs a day ( I was losing 175, yet I counted), so I knew it was a problem). Having a baby makes it thick, but now I am losing estrogen and now hair.

Salie, have you went through a very traumatic period in the past several months? Whether it be an illness or something very stressful that has happened in your life? This is what happened to me TWICE....and both times my hair fell out. To the point that I could reach up and take hold of it and pull a clump out!! In fact, I was considering buying a looked so bad!

I usually have a very thick, full head of hair...and now I do again. It was the stress and sickness. I'm not saying that is your problem...but it might be. So if you have had some of these problems, just hang in there. Your body will repair itself...don't give up.

Shedding about 70 hairs a day is absolutely normal.

More would be of concern, likely a zinc deficiency, unless a genetic balding trait. Even so, it could be also that MANY of your family members are zinc

deficient? It works for me! Good luck/God bless you. : )

My doctor recommended Rogaine. However, I started using Flaxseed Oil Capsules (1000 mg each) three times daily & after several months am pleased to say my hair is thicker. Even the girl who does my hair said she can tell a difference. I've been doing this for years now. Besides, Omega 3 is good for you, too. This was the easiest solution I've found & you buy Flaxseed Oil Capsules at many places.

Hi Salie.

I can relate to this. For months all I had to do was run my fingers through my hair and come up with gobs pulled out. Shedding all over the place along with lots of hair in the drain each time I took a shower. It seemed to have occured after my 3rd child was born.

My hair stylist told me it was normal, noone really took me seriously but I refused to just accept it. I started taking 5000mg of biotin, horsetail vitamins and a prenatal vitamins (I'm not pregnant) every day... no more hair in the tub, and I couldn't be more THRILLED!!

Now if I could just get my nails to grow...

The best of luck to you and I hope it's not serious. :)

Shari in Michigan

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Hair LossDecember 19, 2006
A dog's brush next to a pile of dog hair.
Reducing Your Dog's Shedding
A Persian cat with long hair.
Reducing Your Cat's Shedding
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink