Dog With Chronic Diarrhea

I've a 7 month old sweet pup that we've had since he was 10 weeks old. Here's the problem: He has a bad case of diarrhea. We have tried just about everything. We've had him back to the vets office 4 times in the last 2 months. He gets better for a while after being on plain rice, lamb meat and a little yogurt. Then when I try to incorporate a little kibble in his diet (which he's been on since he was a little pup) the diarrhea comes with no warning. He doesn't act sick or anything. But he has just about ruined our carpet.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions? I'm beginning to this may be an allergey to something in his kibble. We're at our wits end. I'm sure he's not getting all the nutrition he needs by being on the rice diet alone, but I'm afraid to give him anything else.

Meg from Washington DC

You might try some acidophilus. It is available in pill or liquid. I always use liquid purchased from a reliable vitamin store. Or you could try yogurt that contains the live cultures and purchasable at most any grocery store. You would have to judge how much by the size of your dog and the liquid would be easier to dose.

Sounds like he's allergic to something in the food. Or if you switch him abruptly from one food to another it can cause diarrhea. Either try switching him back gradually to his regular food or switch to another food. To gradually switch him over, take 1/4 of new food and 3/4 of old food. Give him a few days to adjust and then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a few more days and then 3/4 new and 1/4 old for a few days. If at any time he backslides go back a step and stay there until he settles back down again. I'm assuming the vet has done fecal exams and found nothing. Ask your vet for recommendations. A good quality food is important.

HTH

Cindy

Does souind like a food allergy.Try a prescriptive food or a different brand of store food-lamb and rice variety. If you buy food at Petco, and try it out and it makes your dog sick, Petco will refund for the opened bag if you keep your receipt. Try mixing just a small amount of the new kibble in with his homemade food, gradually increasing kibble and backing off on the homemade.

We had a dog like that, and could find nothing wrong with him. His whole life, he ate, Dannon Yogurt, rice, ground sirloin and mashed potatoes....

This is from the drug store - it's not a prescription, but must be kept refrigerated, so ask the pharmacist for it.

Lactinex granules.

The doc told me to get it when one of my children had a terrible case of diarrhea that couldn't be cleared up. This was the solution.

Ask if it's ok to give to a dog.

Sounds like lactose intolerence, Just make sure anything you feed him has no milk (lactose) in it. It's easier than giving him the acidophilous to digest the lactose. He will be fine without milk. Lamb and rice is usually a healthy choice but so are others.

I agree it sounds like an allergy. You need to buy a good quality natural food & see if it works. Even then it could be a specific ingredient. It's going to be a trial & error to see what ingredient it is. Your dog can live on people/non kibble food however, as long as it's healthy stuff. The myth that dogs need "dog food" is just that. If you can afford it I would have him tested for allergies though.

You can also give him canned pumpkin ( NOT canned pumpiin pie filling) This is good for dirrhea or constipation. I've used the yogurt and rice and people food as well and expencive vet food, from what I've read above you've received very good advise. Hope this clears up for you. Let us know when you can.

Sounds like he has Pancreaitis. If so this is a chronic condition that will require the lamb and rice diet the rest of his life.

i would feed him the rice lamb etc... for the rest of his life. my dog lived a healthy 17 years on it. she would get sick from fats and allergies. good luck.

I just adopted a dog from local county animal shelter. While there, I overheard a discussion that straight pumpkin clears diarrhea like a charm! Then just avoid giving him whatever triggers it. Again, any sudden change in food brands or even flavors can trigger an attack. Hope the pumpkin works!

We had a cat that developed the same problem. The first thing the vet did was put him on a food (lamb) that his body had never been exposed to before and thus would not have developed an allergy to. He did much better on the lamb cat food. Just as in people, our pets can develop allergies to common foods, etc. at any stage in life.

http://www.dogtorj.com/pages/556761/index.htm

My Vet is very passionate about this diet, as you will see if you read his article, he feels it is good for humans as well.

I would try a different kibble. We use wellness.

I read with interest all the responses, sounds like it's something in the kibble itself that is affecting your puppy. One of my Yorkies has had chronic diarreah since he was a pup, now he is 4yrs old. Recently the bout was so bad I had all kinds of blood tests, urine test and fecal test done, all came out negative. I am doing research on the web to see what else I can do since nothing I have given or tried on him works. good luck with your pup.

HI,

I'm interning at an animal hospital and there was a dog with a similar problem. The dog could not process fat. His owners brought him to a homeopathic vet who recommended an almost non fat diet of buffalo meat and crystalized ginger among other things. Maybe you could try that.

My beautiful American Dingo, Daphne has had diarrhea for the past 5 months! I've spent thousands at the Vet and they cannot find anything wrong.

I think it could be allergies. I've recently took all commercial dog food away & now she eats plain broiled white chicken, sweet corn, white rice & sometimes broiled potatoes w/olive oil.

The only problem she has is keeping on her weight. What

else can I add to the diet to make her gain some weight.

She runs, jumps, plays w/my other dog & cat & has plenty of energy. Her coat is beautiful. Her eyes & teeth are great! She does pass A Lot of GAS

Please someone Help with any suggestions. Thank You!

I also have a dog that has suffered with this problem. I was to the point of going crazy cleaning up after her multiple times a day. I tried Nutro Venison Meal and Brown Rice. It has completely cleared up the problem. It looks like she had a food allergy and she is so much happier!

Pets Dogs HealthOctober 18, 2005
Cat seeing a veterinarian.
Cat With Diarrhea
Sick pug at the vet.
Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea
A woman holding her belly.
Remedies for Diarrhea
🎄