Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Other Uses for an Old Sewing Machine

I have an old singer cabinet stlye sewing machine and I would like some ideas of how to utilize it other than using it as an end table with a cloth covering it. I would appreciate any clever ideas you may have. Thanks!

Kim from Virginia

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Marge05/10/2010

I'm using mine as a patio bar. Where the machine used to drop in, I put a plastic bin for ice. The fold out works for a great serving area. The finish wasn't great to start with, but with some weather proof paint, it should last a while. When not in use, I can fold it up and put a pretty plant on it.

By KrazyK (Guest Post)01/17/2009

Years ago at a craft fair in Corpus Christi I saw an old machine decorated with ribbon and flowers. Wish I had taken a picture as I now have a machine I would like to decorate.

By Ariela [31]11/07/2006

You could remove the drawers and sell them on Ebay. Or..
use the drawers as a cabinet. There are some for sale on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc ... 40&satitle=sewing+machine+drawer

look here to see some that were already sold on Ebay, you can make your own useing the sewing machine top as a top for the drawers. Ebay also sells racks for the drawers.. just slide them in
emailing the seller first to make sure they are the right size.
http://search-completed.ebay.com/se ... sQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3aadvsearchQ3aUS

heres an URL to see some racks.
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc ... =&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1

By Ariela [31]04/27/2006

A friend built a frame and stained it, then put in the drawers from his moms old singer sewing machine! Its beautiful and so handy in the kitchen. You could even hang it on a wall . I have been looking for one ever since I saw his. Now that I want one I never see them. But I keep looking :) One day ill take a picture and post it here.

By melody_yesterday [213]04/27/2006

i have a small collection of vintage hats with feathers & have had them displayed at varied heighths on top of the sewing cabinet & at one time used it as a desk, the drawers were catch alls for the clutter

RE: Other Uses for an Old Sewing Machine

By ro (Guest Post)10/14/2005

Hi.I am looking a old sewing machine.If anyone wants to give it to me free or by money it is ok.email: r_emirhan @ yahoo.com (remove spaces)

By rhi (Guest Post)09/18/2005

you can make clothes with it... that is if its not broken... hehe... or u could make it into a nice display for people to see.... hope this helps. lots of love rhi

By (Guest Post)05/23/2005

I have seen them made into hall tables and the legs shortened so that it makes a proper height coffee table.
The most striking conversion was with a marbled slab laid on top.

By Donna (Guest Post)05/19/2005

If you don't need the machine,remove the legs, leave one whole,cut the other in half and re-attach on each side of the whole one. ( This requires brazing or welding) When completed, you have a beautiful four legged base. We cut a piece of smoky dark glass for the top,painted the base black and taped it off and did the Singer emblem in gold..It is SO georgous.

By Di (Guest Post)05/19/2005

Hi Kim: I have the same problem and have enjoyed reading the responses. We downsized & moved to Florida and mine is still in the garage. Now, I just have to get my husband in agreement to let me move it inside somewhere. He thinks all new white stuff is the only thing we can have in a Florida home. We are squeezed for space. I love the plant table idea. Best wishes, Di originally from West Virginia

By Kim from Virginia (Guest Post)05/19/2005

Thanks for the great ideas. I can't wait to get started!!

By Firefly1985 (Guest Post)05/19/2005

If it has little drawers, you could use it as a bill paying station and store your stamps etc or maybe a scrapbooking area.

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)05/18/2005

You can make a make-up vanity out of it. Here's how:

Remove the sewing machine from the cabinet.

The lid usually opens to the side. Relocate the hinges so the lid opens from the front and stands up. Mount a square mirror tile with glue.

Line any drawers with a complimentary color of velvet or silk. Fill drawers with perfume and makeup bottles.

By Judith Muelling05/18/2005

I put mine in front of my big diningroom window which faces north-west. I put my flowering plants (violets) on it and it looks great. I made some quilted place mats (small) to put under each pot incase of stray water. I hope this helps you.