ClothingCrafts

Making Crinkle Skirts and Shirts

How do you crinkle skirts or shirts permanently? You can buy these skirts and shirts but I would like to try it myself.

Carol from South Africa

I have purchased a few 'crinkle' blouses and have noticed that they are lightweight fabric. The label tells you after washing to twist and knot the garment when hanging to dry. So this might work on any lightweight fabric...worth a try I suppose!

When I was a kid, a hundred years ago, the big girls wore gathered skirts they called "squaw skirts". I have no idea WHY they were called that. I do remember that after washing and rinsing and still wet, the skirts were squeezed together at the waist and then pulled into an old nylon stocking that had the foot cut off. The waist part was in the narrow or ankle part of the stocking and the fuller, lower part of the skirt was in the fuller, thigh part, of the stocking. They were allowed to dry for several days. When they were pulled out of the stocking they had a bazillion vertical "wrinkles"! My older sister had one and I remember my mom being embarrassed because she thought the skirt needed to be ironed before Sis left the house!

I've heard that you can create a permanent crease in clothing with an iron and vinegar. I haven't tried this but maybe if you soak it with vinegar before you twist it and then heat it up in the dryer for a little while it would stay. Just a thought. Good luck.