Oatmeal Compress for Burns

I was told today by a pal about using oatmeal compresses to draw the heat out of a burn. I'd never heard of this before. She said to lay down a clean towel, put a layer or 2 of old fashioned oatmeal on the towel, then put another clean towel upon the layer(s) of oatmeal. Then moisten the towels by sprinkling cool water on them. Then to wring the oatmeal and towels over the burn. If at all possible to rub in the oatmeal water drippings on the burn. Then lay the cool oatmeal/towel over the burn. She said soon you should be able to feel the heat from the burn coming thru the towel. She said she uses this method more so than the apple cider vinegar/water compresses that many people recommend.

By Terri H.

I get burns all the time from my woodburning stove. I dab them with mineral water I get in Utah that is very strong. I never get scars and it does not blister. The pain is gone in a matter of minutes.

You can just rub a plain, generic brand of mustard on the burn and it will do the same thing. I have done this and it really does work.

A quicker method to get rid of pain from burns is to use the inside of the membrane of a raw egg. Just break the egg into a saucer and use the membrane which adheres to the shell, put the moist part of the membrane which was against the egg against the burn and instant relief and let it dry on. Use the egg for breakfast or recipe of cookies which you deserve after burning yourself!

I used to work in a burn unit. We always tell people never put mustard, eggs ect on a burn. If the skin is broken or peeling it can cause a serious infection.

The mineral water is a good idea. That is similar to the techinque we use in the burn unit.

In a burn unit for semi-minor 1st and 2nd degree burns they put neosporin on the burn and wrap the burn with gauze soaked in saline (which is similar to mineral water). You can use a clean tee shirt or anything that does not have a lot of fuzz (no towels!! if the skin is broken)

When relieving the pain anything that dulls nerve endings will do, tylenol, cold compress ect. Those compresses are fine as long as the skin is not broken!

The only thing that will calm the swelling is Tylenol or good old fashioned time.

I hope this helps!!!

I burned the bottom of my feet running on asphalt (not on purpose) barefoot. I now have very large blisters filled with a liquid on the ball of both feet. Any suggestions?

Home Remedies for Minor Burns
Home Remedies for Minor Burns
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 20, 2004
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal