Replacing a Dining Room Chair Cushion

I would like instructions for replacing a dining room chair cushion.

By JoAnn

Take the cushion cover apart. It makes a good pattern, good luck.

I'm not sure what kind of chairs you have, but I can tell you how I replaced my chair seats.

First of all, here is what my kitchenette sort of looks like.

Not exactly it, but close enough. The chairs were originally covered in a tan fabric. At the time, I had three cats and a toddler, so you can imagine how quickly tan fabric got dirty.

Here's what I did:

1. Remove the seat from the chair. There are screws underneath, so you'll need to flip the chair over and find out how to disassemble.

2. Separate old fabric and padding from the hard base of the seat. Be careful - there are lots of staples and nails tacked in.

3. Measure the old fabric square to see how much new fabric you'll need. (And then add some extra just in case.)

4. Shop for a new seat covering. I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and picked out a heavy-duty burgundy vinyl. My padding was okay so I didn't need to replace it. If you need to, check out the foam area of the store and purchase accordingly.

5. Use an old fabric square as a guide to cut the new fabric. *Note* The furniture factories use as little fabric as possible. Cut your squares larger to make it easier to work with.

6. Lay the new square, back side up on the floor. Lay your padding on top of it. Lay the hard base on top of that.

7. Now you're ready to attach. If you aren't worried about the look of the furniture, use a staple gun. Start at one side, pull over the hard base, staple in the middle. Do the opposite side. Just work back and forth and keep things nice and tight. If you don't want to use a staple gun, get furniture nails and use a hammer. I did it that way, but only because I didn't have a staple gun. (My furniture is fairly cheap, so I wasn't worried about what the underside looked like.

8. Finally, attach the seats back on to the chair. You may need to mark the holes first since the fabric may have covered up where the screws go in. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsOctober 24, 2009
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
Dining Room Table
Protecting Your Dining Room Table