Kerosene Heater For Power Outages

We have been experiencing a lot of power loss lately. When this happens, I heat with a kerosene heater. Not only does it keep me warm, but it's my cooking source as well. You can't cook everything this way, but you can make do with many foods.

This past weekend, I didn't have power so I used the heater to heat up canned foods. I also made grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, cooked eggs, and even made coffee. I place my coffee grounds in a filter and twisted it up with a tie twist. Placed this in the coffee container, added the water, and left it to "perc". After a bit, I had delicious coffee as usual. You can prepare so many foods if you just think about it.

The top of the heater gets quite hot, so it doesn't take long. Just make sure the containers you use will be safe for this method

By triciaminter from Ridgeway, VA

I live in TN, and I do the same thing and so did my parents when I was a child. But please remember that kerosene heaters can cause carbon monoxide poisoning!! Keep a window in the room where you have the heater OPEN about 2 to 3 inches to help ventilate the room. I almost died of carbon monoxide poisoning when I was 4 years old from being inside a car that had a exhaust leak. That was almost 42 years ago. I still remember how sick I was and my dad pouring melted snow on my to revive me. So please be careful.

One of the best steaks I ever had was cooked on a kerosene heater! My parents used to cook beans or homemade soup on the heater all the time when I was a kid, even when the power wasn't out.

In some states kerosene stoves are illegal! If you use a gas generator don't put it in your garage either. Even with the doors open the fumes can seep into your home. If you feel sleepy it's not a good sign, headache too. Also charcoal grills used indoors is a deadly mistake. We have an electronic generator which uses golf cart batteries. No noise, gas or fumes. See www.Mrelectricity.Com for info. We've had our unit for over 10 years. We are never left in the dark, freezing, or without running water, or the ability to cook. It also runs our computer, alarm system, tv and fridge.

Kerosene Heater
Using a Kerosene Heater
Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageMarch 4, 2010
Blue Kerosene Bottle
Cleaning Kerosene Spilled in a Car
Kerosene
Using Kerosene for Stains
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
power outage kitchen
Cooking When the Power Goes Out
🎉
🎄