Boil the Bones for Soup Stock

Make a joint of meat (or a turkey or chicken) last a week by boiling the bones to make stock for soup. Just cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for two hours (for extra flavor, you can add cloves, peppercorns and onion, celery, carrots, etc.) You can freeze it in tubs for future use.

By Lucy L. from England

Everyone should do this! When I make a chicken, I make at least 3 meals from it. I roast it one night with roasted potatoes, carrots and onions. My family only likes the dark meat, so the 4 of us eat the dark meat with some of the roasted vegetables. After dinner, I take all the meat off the bones and I boil the bones and the innards with carrots, onions, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and garlic. I then strain it and but it in the refrigerator.

The next night, I take most of the meat and the roasted vegetables and make a chicken pot pie with a white sauce. We have this for one night and my husband and I will also have it for a lunch or two. The next night, I will add more chicken to the stock, vegetables, beans, rice or pasta for a soup.

If I make a ham, I do the same type of thing. I may save some of the ham for future meals and the bone for a split pea soup.

Last night, I make a steak and had some leftovers. I cut it up and make a Caldo Verde Soup today.

A pot of homemade bean with bacon soup
Making Homemade Soup and Stock
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversFebruary 15, 2010
chicken tomato risotto
Recipes Using Chicken Stock
chicken noodle soup
Making Chicken Stock
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup