Agencies That Help Disabled People Get a Car

Advice to help people with disabilities find assistance. This is a guide about agencies that help disabled people get a car.

I am a disabled 55 woman who needs a car after I lost mine in an accident. Does anyone know of any sites that could help?

By C.A.R.

Best Answer

I haven't heard of any places that help with things like that. You could ask your church for help. I know a woman that did that, but she did attend church regularly, she said it isn't much to look at, but gets her where is needs to go(work, etc.). However, about 15 years ago I decided it would be cheaper to use public transportation than have a car. There is regular upkeep, repairs, gas, oil changes, insurance, etc. I had complete coverage on my old car, and that combined with my renter's was only $40.00 a month. I had so that if an accident was my fault I would have enough to buy a different car and my renter's insurance is so that if I lost everything in a fire I could go out and buy new. I still have the renters insurance. If you are disabled there should be a service where you live that would provide transportation at minimal cost. For that type of service you just have to plan ahead of time. I ride paratransit service where I live and sometimes I take a cab.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I am with the unnamed person who posted here. The bus transit for my area for the disabled is called Dial A Ride and with no more worries of having to pay for gas, insurance and car repairs. I don't know where you live but there is most likely some sort of similar service there. Try calling your local Department of Human Services for more ideas.

I donated my car to Goodwill, so you might start there.

This is what Google gave me...

http://www.goog  ;oq=donated+cars

Good luck.

I will be getting out of a nursing home by the end of June & am 50 & will need help also. If you have any Women's help centers in your community ask them.