DogsPets

Frugal Doggy Dental Care

Our Hannah is the latest in the long line of dogs that have owned us over the years, and, at nearly four, has never had to have a dental cleaning and often gets compliments (even from the vet) on her pearly whites. Our others had great teeth too.

We think that this is why:

1. Feed a good-quality dry food. Hard kibble acts as an abrasive on tartar.

2. Provide plenty of fresh, clean water and praise the dog for drinking immediately after eating.

3. Keep packaged, processed treats to a bare minimum. Treat instead with carrots, broccoli, and other veggies. (Her fave is sugar snap peas!

4. Play the ice cube game - it's not just for teething puppies. We toss a cube or two on the kitchen floor; she gets exercise from batting it around and chasing it and loves to gnaw on them, too. They satisfy the need to chew, hydrate, clean the teeth and also help tackle tartar.

By Candy from Hollywood, FL

Thanks for all the tips. I like the ice cube game and just put one down for my new puppy. She's having a ball and it's so funny watching her. I put one on my grand baby's highchair tray to keep her busy(playing). My dogs love carrots especially raw. Does broccoli give them gas?

My dogs also have always had good teeth. Two extra things I do is once or twice a week, I give each of them a piece of rawhide to chew on. And once a day they each get a Milk Bone dog biscuit. Each of these is also very good at scraping the tartar off their teeth.

I don't give me dogs the green vegetables, because they do get gas. And not just a little bit either, but a lot and real stinky too!

OP here--thanks for the feedback, all--on the "silent-but- deadly" gas thing ,LOL: a solution to the gas is either to cook the crucifers ( broccoli, cauliflower), let 'em cool and then offer them to the dog--or use them sparingly if the stench is more than you can stand :)

They're more nutritious raw, but it's still healthier to offer the dog cooked veggies in order to wean them off the processed stuff. We got into this habit initially not just thinking about good teeth, but because we had a dog a long time ago with skin issues and cancer, and our vet offered the suggestion.

Also found a reference to an American Veterinary Journal study on treating with veggies and the possibility of that preventing incidence of certain cancers:

http://www.theo  at-to-your-dogs/

Sorry but don't feed dry dog food to your dog. Whoever started that was wrong. Studies done by scientists have discovered that giving your dog dry dog food actually makes tarter worse not better. For some strange reason the food seems to glue itself to the teeth where pre-moistend food doesn't.

A lot of Vets are under the misunderstanding that it's good for their teeth - it's not. Better to buy doggie toothpaste & brush & get to work unless you want to pay your Vet $230 for a teeth cleaning. But than again maybe that's why they tell you to do it $.

Besides that what if someone put a bowl of rocks in front of you for dinner and said: Here you go enjoy your dinner?