Using Asafoetida

Also Known As:

Giant fennel, devil's dung, asant, food of the gods, hing, and stinking gum.

Description:

Asafoetida is native to Iran. The spice is made from the dried resin like gum that comes from within the stem. When made into a ghee the smell and flavor will resemble sautéed onion or garlic. Some special diets and India don't eat onions and garlic, for these diets this spice is used as a substitute.

Uses:

This spice has a strong pungent odor but when heated in oil, to make a ghee, the flavor will become much more pleasant and taste and smell similar to sautéed onion or garlic. Good in vegetarian cooking with legumes or vegetables like cauliflower.

Storage:

Must be stored in airtight containers, asafoetida has a pungent odor and can contaminate other spices stored near by if not stored properly.

Interesting Facts:

A common know fact around the Texas/Mexican border is the smell of asafoetida is attractive to the wolf. Often used as a digestive aid to reduce flatulence, small amounts will be added to lentil dishes not just for it's flavor but for its digestive aid properties.

I think this is the same stuff that my mom use to wrap in a little cloth and pin it in my shirt!!!! I think it was suppose to keep you from catching germs!!!! Probably no one could get near you for the odor! LOL!!!!! I think it was common practice back in those days. Now I am telling my age!!!

Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
PayPal logo
Using PayPal
🎄