Bugs With Split In The End

I have these little inch long bugs with a split on one end that we keep seeing in the kitchen and bathroom. I've tried recaulking the bathroom and every kind of cleaner I can think but still I see them now and then. Is this just something doomed to be in Florida or is there something that will keep them out?

Beth from Middleburg, FL

You have earwigs. I can't stand them! Earwigs can be controlled with Boric Acid powder. To get rid of earwigs that have made it into your home despite proper sealing and landscaping techniques, spreading a residual insecticide like boric acid near baseboards, cracks, and hard to reach places is recommended. Boric acid is a natural insecticide, and works only if the earwig is forced to travel through the powder.

Boric acid is poisonous to children & pets. Be careful with it.

I was wondering if you have silverfish? They like to be in wet areas. I don't know how to get rid of them.

You have earwigs. Here is non toxic way to get rid of them : )

Saw an episode of Paul James' "Gardening by the Yard" in which they advised that you take a small water bottle, cut the top one-third off or so, fill the bottle with tuna or tuna cat food. Invert the top part that you cut off with the spout facing down and reattach it to the bottle. The earwigs can crawl in, and are attracted by the smell of food, but won't be able to get out again. It seems like an easy, non-toxic method that's worth a try.

It does sound like you have earwigs. They love moist dark areas. Check around outside if you have layers of old dead leaves they are probably breeding outside and sneaking inside to the moist areas in your house. I agree with the other poster about the danger of boric acid. You can make a safe pesticide from 4 tsps of neem oil (purchased at most health food or vitamin shops) mixed with one gallon of distilled water and spray around the bottom of your doors, windows and other openings. Clean up any dead leaves and debris they might be using to hide in and spray around the base of your exterior. It works for all kinds of bugs but doesn't hurt most beneficial bugs like bees. Good luck! You can look Neem oil up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

You can see a picture and description of earwigs here:

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/earwigs.html

they sound like silverfish. maybe in the U.S. they are called earwigs. i dont know. they will ruin clothing like moths so use a long lasting insect repellant. probably anything that repels ants or cockroaches will do the trick.why dont u look them up on the internet or wikipedia so u have an idea wat they REALLY are and take it from there.

Hi Beth. Yes it does sound like earwigs. ewwh. I used to live in Middleburg, FL. Then I came home to Baltimore, MD. We lived on Snap Court off Everett Road past the fire dept.

Telstar is perfect for indoor pests.

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 24, 2008
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
🎉
🎄