Treadle Sewing Machines Information

I have a Singer treadle machine model, #w20841. I cannot thread it. Any ideas how I can find out?

By Joyce from Shawnee, OK

Go to this site and see if there is instructions for you particular machine.

I had a similar problem with threading the bobbin on my sewing machine.

I could not understand the directions in my manual so, I googled threading a bobbin. There are actual people showing you how to thread bobbin, or the machine itself. It worked better for me watching someone do it than reading about how or having someone tell me how.

good luck!

I've owned 3 treadles, a White & 2 Singers. They all thread in basically the same way.

These older machines are quite simple to thread & your best bet would be to find a video on U-Tube of someone demonstrating it, but if you're like me & have only dial-up internet & can't get videos, I will try to attempt describing how to do it:

* Look at the machine diagram below & if you see in anything in "quotes" that means the item in quotes is shown in the drawing below:

FIRST: You need to know that the take-up lever needs to ALWAYS be ALL the way up before you start to you thread!

SECOND: Any time you move the "Machine Pulley" wheel (the wheel to the right that moves the needle up & down) you ALWAYS need to turn it towards you which would be Counter-clockwise & NEVER turn it clock-wise!

THIRD: To know WHICH DIRECTION to thread the machines needle from (in ANY machine) you look where the last thread guide is & if it is in the front, you'd thread the needle from the front, if the last thread guide is on the left side, you would thread the needle from the left

1) Put the thread on the "Spool Pin" (facing either way)

2) Then pull strand of thread over to your left & slide it in the first thread guide you come to (not shown on drawing)

3) You will see the round "Tension" dial (with numbers on it). Put the thread inside the dial from the right to the left under then BETWEEN the 2 round circle/disc plates

4) Now bring the thread up & into the "Take-Up Lever" & thread it from right to left

5) Then bring thread down through the next 2 or 3 thread guides

6) Thread the needle.

* Remember to thread the needle (as stated above) looking where the last thread guide is on your machine.

---> Almost all machines thread like this: First through a thread guide, then down & through the upper tension, then up through the take-up lever, then down through the thread guides & into the needle.

BOBBIN THREADING: (there are 2 types)

1) If you have a "drop-in" bobbin & put the bobbin in so if you pull on the thread, the bobbin would spin counter-clockwise. Slide back the metal plate that covers the bobbin, drop the bobbin into the machine, then slide the thread in to a slot which is the Bottom Tension & slide the plate back in.

2) If your bobbin casing is the kind that comes out & you remove from the machine, have the thread bobbin thread face the same way, then pull the thread into the little slot, (near a tiny screw, this screw is the bobbin tension). Next, hold the little lever out (this prevents the bobbin from falling out) & use it as a handle to put the Bobbin casing back into the machine.

You need to get your bobbin thread up. To do this, simply hold on to the top thread with your left hand while you spin the "Machine Pulley Wheel" towards you (counter-clockwise) with your right hand & the bobbin thread will come out & be on the top. Each time you sew, it helps if you hold the 2 threads in you fingers while you sew the first couple of stitches so the bobbin thread doesn't get sucked back down into the machine.

---> This sounds very difficult, but it's super-easy if someone showed you how... It's just hard to write it all out!

Your antique machine will need to be oiled before you use it! Find directions on how to oil on the Singer site or on the web. It's super-easy! Don't pay someone to do it for you! ...If you care for this machine, it will last another 2 or 3-hundred years! It would also help if you take some canned-air & a little paintbrush to clean & blow away any dust & lint that's accumulated inside the bobbin, underneath & in the upper machine.

* ALSO: Some old machines are timed differently & need to be re-timed so our modern needles work with them. So if your machine is having problems, maybe it hasn't been timed to modern specifications. I don't know much about this, I just know that they needed to do this to one of my treadles. Here's some more info:

May 11, 2010 Flag

I need the name of a company that sells treadle sewing machines.

Mary from AR

Treadle Sewing Machines Information

Have you tried Lehman's Non Electric Catalog? They are based in Kidron, Ohio, USA and sell a lot to the Amish.

Ad (11/23/2004)

By Peach

Treadle Sewing Machines Information

There are two companies that make modern treadle sewing machines. Janome, the 712T is a nice looking machine. The other company is Singer that makes a dual electric/treadle. You need to have a treadle table for either machine. I would like to purchase a Janome, but am having trouble finding a treadle table. There are no modern day manufactures that I can fine, and I hate to destroy an antique to acquire a table. (05/31/2009)

By sallypz

Treadle Sewing Machines Information

Janome 712T Treadle Machine

Chestnut Ridge Sewing, in Ohio for cabinets:

By Richard108

Crafts SewingMay 11, 2010
closeup of sewing machine foot and needle
Finding Coronado Sewing Machine Manuals
Treadle Operated Sewing Machine
Buying Treadle Operated Sewing Machines
Repairing a PFAFF Sewing Machine
Repairing a Pfaff Sewing Machine