Potty Training A Insecure Puppy

We recently rescued a beagle-terrier mix who is 2 months old. She is a very happy and loving dog in all respects, but for some reason she will only go number 2 outside. She will run around and sniff, but will not pee. As soon as you bring her inside, she will release a flood.

She also will sprinkle whenever my girlfriend tries to put a leash on her, but not when I do it. I have also noticed that she will always try to walk or sit between my feet when I am sitting or standing.

The circumstances as to how she ended up in the shelter is anyones guess, but she seems to be very insecure. I am just wondering if there are any tips or insights out there as to how to handle the potty training.

Matt from Ft. Worth, Texas

I'm not there but I suspect you may not wait long enough when you're out. If and when she does her thing outside I would make a big production of it in a nonthreatening way. Lots of 'good girl' and pats and praise. My doxie did that for awhile and I just stayed out (or left her out) until mission accomplished.

As for the piddle while petting, I suspect she feels the need to show your girlfriend she's under subjection to her. My doxie would do that when my husband petted her and did it once in a while until she died. My new dog will do that if she's approached fast and loud. Has she tried holding and petting a bit before putting the leash on? I agree, sounds like an insecurity thing.

Walking between your feet can be dealt with by stopping, stepping aside and maybe shortening the leash and holding her out away from you. Mostly you have to be consistant with any training.

Good for you for saving a life. I suspect she was abused & that's why she's insecure & trying to be submissive. I agree w/the above & trust me she will come around w/a lot of patience & time. I'm been through much worse w/a couple of rescues & they became so secure you'd never know they were the same dogs. It's people like us who save dogs who other people won't take the time & put in the love to help a dog have a good life.

Hi Matt - good for you for making room in your heart for her. Hang in there! Puppyhood is brutal but the adult dog is so worth it. She will be the dog that fits you and your life because you raised her yourself.

I would try putting a urine smell outside. Try having her wet on some paper, then carry the paper outside. The wait time outside can not be shorter than five full minutes, so bring a book. My dog was treat motivated, so rewarding her that way helped too. She is still very stubborn and takes too long to make up her mind where to pee, but she no longer pees in the house.

Also, she will develop a signal to tell you when she needs to go out in a couple of weeks/months, and both my dogs had the same signal: they just approach me affectionately with licking. Very easy to misread as wanting attention, so I cuddle them and go back to my email, and then they wet in the house: my fault. God bless you and be sure to microchip her!

It sounds to me that she is still too young. All the messages so far are good advice. Just be patient with her. She'll do fine! I'd love to see a picture of her.

Your pup does that with her because she doesn't trust the other person as much as you. The wetting, it is a nervous anxious reaction. My idea would be for you two to sit together often and be with her so she learns to trust her through you, and that both take her out potty and praise her, because I would think that is also some separation anxiety from leaving you as well.

Good luck she sounds like a sweet little soul

We have Copper 5 month pure Beagle :)

Pets Dogs House TrainingMay 30, 2008
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy