Dog Depressed After Getting a New Puppy

We just got a toy poodle named Butchie, and my 3 year old miniature poodle seems depressed. He will not eat, play with toys, and just lays on the couch all day. What should i do? I give him more attention than the puppy, but will he overcome this depressed look? I feel so sad for my dusty...

Matt from Texas

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

It will happen sometimes but you just have to give the depressed dog a whole lot more attention then you usually do.

Love and time hon. Think how you might feel in that situation. Maybe Dusty needs some quality time with you, without the puppy, a few special walks maybe with just the two of you. Or even spend some time outside with just Dusty.

And let him develop his relationship with the newbie however he wishes. Dogs are all about social heirarchy and he may choose to be above the puppy. Or not.

Look at it as an opportunity to deepen your relationship with Dusty. What I am saying is think positively about it. If Dusty knows you are feeling sorry for him he can reflect that to you very well.

But if youre thinking "oh who cares about that, lets just have some fun Dusty" he will catch on to that too.

GOOD LUCK..we elected to return the puppy and not cause our beloved dog any stress...when he got older we got another one and he was OK

I am going through this myself. My 5 year old dog and I have moved in with my new boyfriend and his 5 month old puppy. Not only did my dog, Capers, lose the only dad he has known, but he now has a new dad and new pup to deal with. It's hard because I can tell Capers is depressed. The pup, Beamer, just wants to play and Capers does not. All I can tell you is give extra love and attention, try to give them time together to play, try to play with both of them at the same time, and allow some time for your dog to get used to the pup. If too much time goes by, he may need to get on an antidepressant like Prozac. Although you don't want to rush to this, it may help if all else fails for a little bit. I hope this helps.

Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 7, 2007
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
A girl holding a new puppy.
Helping a Puppy Adjust to a New Home
photo of a black and white puppy
Choosing a Puppy
A cat and a puppy.
Introducing a New Puppy to a Cat
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:22:58 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.