Damp Smell in Basement

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of damp smell in basement. I only smell it when we open the door to go downstairs, when you get down stairs we don't seem to smell the dampness.

Donna J.

Buy a dehumidifier and use it in the basement.

One thing that worked for me was sprinkling borax all over the floor, letting it sit for a few minutes, then sweeping it up. It absorbs the moisture and also helps sweeten it. It makes quite a difference. Also, get as much air moving through the space as possible with fans or opening windows if there are any down there.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I only get that smell in summer, although I have a dry basement. A dehumidifier, emptied once a day does the trick. That smell is mildew and/or mold spores in the air.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 28, 2006
Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
Organized Basement
Organizing and Cleaning the Basement
Finishing a Basement
Finishing a Basement
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement